Any 4 stroke users?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Bradbury, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

Seeing alot more hand held tools using small 4 strokes. Anyone tried any?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Demoed a Honda 4-stroke trimmer. I gave it the overall thumbs down.

The primary reason I didn't like it was the vibration. It was a little heavy also. I bought a 2 stroke Stihl.

3. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

I've ben using the honda for two years. Other than it being heavier than the others, I have had no problems with it and it is cheaper to operate.

I understand the 2nd generation honda is a couple pounds lighter.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I also was going to post a new thread about this. What is the difference besides they are a little heavier and have more torque & power? I was seriously considering buying the new Stihl 110 but, I like the fack that 2 cycle can operate in all positions. I would really like some feedbak, Thanks,
    Chris

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The Honda ran fine in all positions just like a 2-stroke. I don't know how it would fly long term because of lubrication though.

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Will try out a Stihl next week and hope it not to heavy.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have not done anything other them demo a 4 stroke. It was far too heavy for my liking.

Gravely_Man

8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

Well what was it??? the 4 stroke snowblowers aren't any heavier than the comparable 2 strokes. The smaller tools seem the problem. The normal problem has been you need larger displacement for the same hp, and that results in the weight penalty. I sure do love the sound and the torque though. And no premix.

9. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We gotthe oppurtunity to use one for a few days also...we were not impressed with it by any means. Didn't have the snappy power that the 2-strokes had...and it weighed a ton compared to what we're use to...
    :jester:

10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a deal on a couple of Redmax 4 stroke trimmers. Yes they are heavier, but not by a whole lot. They do not have the power if you need to cut down a very tall weedy ditch bank, but for normal trimming and edging it is fine. I love the fuel economy. That is where the 4 strokes really shine.

I maintain a horse farm for a friend with a huge long drive. With a normal 2 stroke trimmer it takes me 2 tanks to finish the whole thing, but with the 4 stroke not even a whole tank full.

I will say this, I would rather use a 2 stroke over the 4 strokes due to power, not because its a little heavier.