Any advice for a part timer. (solo)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Courvillez71, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Courvillez71

Courvillez71 LawnSite Member

To the part timers.How do you go about taking your lawns when you have a full time job? I have a few people who e-mailed me from a post i put on Craiglist and want it done now, but i work during the day till 4:30 and might not beale to get to them right away..What is your advice when this happens to you?

2. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well basically you have two options.... after work and on Sat. OR pay some high schooler to do it and reapair your equipment very frequently.... I say that because it will be nearly impossible to find someone to work cheap thats going to actually give a rats @$$ about YOUR equipment.

3. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Simple: Weekends. Tell your clients up front that you do it part time, aim for saturdays, and if you have to work on sundays, no one ever said it was against the law to work on sundays.

4. Courvillez71

Yeah i was thinking about Sat and Sun. Do they understand or do you normally not get the job?

5. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

When I was in school, most people would understand, I never really had a problem with it. Now I am full time. If they do not understand, then don't take them on as a client, they will more than likely be a pia along the way. There are plently of good clients out there. Over time you will sort them out

6. Courvillez71

Yeah i'm starting out slow and don't want to get the wrong kind of customers off the back lol..I would like to make it full time but will take my time and see what happens.

7. Courvillez71

Anyone have any feelings on my equiptment? All we used were Kubota's when i worked for a lco and we never had any major problems so thats why i sprung for it.Plus i really really wanted one to cut my 2 acres with lol shhh don't tell my wife..

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I am actually going full time this season. I have more than enough work to do it f/t for several years but still worked a mon-fri 7-3 day job. It was tough trying to meet all of the needs of all my customer's every week. I know what you mean about people wanting things done within a day or so. My advise...You need to be upfront with them and tell them you have a full time job as well and if they cant wait then you dont want them! Not that they are bad people but 99.9% of customer's think this is all we do and many were very surprised to hear I worked full time. Another piece of advise, dont take more than you can handle. Over extending your self will lead to more headaches and unhappy customer's and before you know it you'll be in my position where your forced to go down a path you might not want. Not that I was forced to go f/t but more customer's lead to more equipment, more equipment lead to more payments, which lead to more customer's to pay for it and on and on, you get my point,lol. Ive been doing this since 2003 and I've learned over the years that if your going to do this p/t then be discipline enough to keep it p/t. What I mean is if you can only mow 5-10-15 or how ever many lawns a week then keep it within those parameters because before you know it your mowing handfuls of customer's and trying to keep up with all of their demands as well. All this advice is if you plan on staying p/t. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Just wanted to share my p/t experiences in hopes of helping you. Ive lost many jobs and a few mowing customer's due to the fact we could only mow their property in the late, late afternoon or evenings. Very rarely we worked on a Sunday and most people dont like it, but there are a few who wont care. Just ask them if they have a problem with it. If they say yes they dont want mowed on Sundays but you can only do them on a Sunday then there is your answer. Truth be told, there are a few places we were turned down to even turn in a bid because I did it p/t. Many people think as long as your doing it p/t your not a professional company.

10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

A small piece of advice is to check the laws in the communities you work in. Around here, there are two that I know of which do not allow commercial work on Sunday. Had one enforce it last year on a contractor that was trying to clean up after IKE blew through in September.

JP