Any advice for tall guys using trimmers ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mower For Less, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

This last week I had a new helper start with me. He is 6' 6" tall, and looks very ackward using a trimmer (Shindaiwa T230, T231). He is kind of hunched over like, and although he hasnt really complained about it, it hurts me just to watch him. Are there any tall guys here with some tips I can pass on to him? Or possibly any recommendations on a different trimmer more suited to someone his size?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get him a different trimmer to try. I have a 231 and a 2510. The 231 is a little bit shorter. I almost have trouble using it now.
  3. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

I'm 6'4 and use the Redmax bcz2400 and am very comfortable with the unit. Previously had an Echo srm-260 which wasn't bad, but I'm more comfortable with the Redmax.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, make sure the loop is set for his ease. If it is mounted high (toward the trigger), it is a little trickier in manuevering, but you can get used to it. This way, there is less hunching over.
    Personally, I don't see why they don't make these things more ergonomic. There is SO much that could be done to help. First, the loop handle should be an offset ""c" shape or like a (____ shape that sticks out to the left side a ways. (Some of the old school trimmers had a similar setup). This would eliminate the crossing over we have to do to hold it. The top of this bar wouldn't be a closed loop, but more like the handlebars on an Exmark walkbehind ECS (except it would be bent more straight up when the trimmer is angled down - to fit the normal shape of an arm and hand.
    Second, try this.....reach your hand down to your side and behind you a bit - like you are holding a trimmer (trigger hand). Notice how you have to force you hand even further down so your thumb is pointing straight toward the ground? this is not the natural shape for your hand to be. Here is my idea. Mount a handle, similar to a blower handle onto the trimmer shaft in place of the original handle.
    C_____________\___([ )] Now your hand is in a more natural position. This handle would be adjustable, and the trigger built right in. Now,...does THIS make more sense than the cockeyed out of shape contortion they have us doing with these things? you would have not only greater comfort and less fatigue, but you would have much better control, also - especially for reaching out under stuff like bushes.

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

I am only 6'1" and I have problems with this also! I use split shaft and I have even swithed the end of one to the longer one of the other brand to extend it. If I stand comfortably straight up holding the trimmer by the time I put it to the groundit is cocked down away from me. I have to slouch down for the head to be level. From now on the next one I buy I will have a measuring tape with me and I will buy thelongest from thetrigger to the head. Dont care which brand or cost! OR they could just make the angle at the head adjustable for the users comfort!
  6. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

I 'm 6'4" I use the shindaiwa home pro it light weight and has power to boot.I 'm able to use it with one arm.If you get good at it. :dizzy:
  7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

while I am not very tall yet, I find that by moving the handles up on the 231's it can be more comfortable. I also find a t270 to be a lot easier on the back.

BUT, a new trimmer is probably not a good economical option, I would buy him the biggest bump head you can buy. I don't know how high the shindaiwa speedfeed head moves it off the ground, but changing from the fixed to the promatic really helped. the taller the better.
  8. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

As a short guy (5’) I have no problem with my Shindaiwa 2510. I think the problem is not only length but angle of the cutting head in relation to the shaft. Maybe if the cutting head angle was adjustable then it could fit a wider range of people. It did take a little time to get use to the length of the 2510 but now I am more than happy.
  9. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I'm a little over 6'4" and use Stihl products. I won't use a trimmer that doesn't have the handle bar set up. It makes a huge difference as far as having to bend over. I would still like to see the pitch on the head changed a little so it would be more level, or a little bit longer shaft.
  10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

take off the guard to reduce wieght and trim one handed. thats how I save my back from hunching over. I have a t230 and they have a arm rest on top of the case but it does heat up sometimes on multiple lawns. Taking off the guard has its own risks but you can let out more line to extend your reach and make it more comfortable to operate.