Any advice? Getting into the biz...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TGMC, Feb 22, 2002.

1. TGMC

TGMC LawnSite Member

Okay, I'm a bored software engineer... One day I looked outside and seen these guys smileing and laughing as they mowed our lawn...

After about two months, I bought a trailer. Then, I know a guy that buys and fixes lawn mowers, I bought a mower w/ a 72in cutting deck. Then got on eBay and bought an echo back pack blower. (and so on...)

I would just like some advice or useful hints to get started.

PS. I still have my day job!

2. RaleighGuru

RaleighGuru LawnSite Member

TGMC, I would recommend using the search function as you will find lots of information. When you have exhausted that, come back and ask specific questions. I have not been reading here long, but I do know that you wont get much help with a generic question that has been answered a hundred times.

Good luck! I am in a similar position and thinking of doing the same.

3. grebwv

grebwv LawnSite Member

Hey TGMC,

I am doing the same thing. Drop a note to my email and let's see what we are thinking.

I backed into this idea and now it is kind of grown way beyond what I meant to start!

Regards,

William
    grebwv@hotmail.com

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey, welcome to lawnsite.com, you have come to a great place. what size trailer did u get? what brand is the mower? do u have any other mowers? i reccamend u get a smaller one or two also. how about a truck? do u have any lawns yet?

Most of all i agree with the other guy, do a search, u will find all your answers, anything u dont see please ask away!!!

5. TGMC

TGMC LawnSite Member

I have a 12 ft X 6 1/2 ft trailer, a full size Dodge 1 ton. The mower is a Toro GroundsMaster(?) not too sure of the name... I have one commercial acct. that I will start doing in March. On the weekends of course...

6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

you will need a smaller mower also, depending on the property either a 22" or if u can fit a 36" go for it. great start with the big truck and trailer. how big is the commercial property?

7. TGMC

TGMC LawnSite Member

It's about 3 1/2 football fields. Have no idea acreage wise. I truley don't know what to charge either. A friend of mine is willing to let me get my feet wet, and it looks a heck of a lot better to have at least one ref.

I do have a smaller 22" walk behind. The prop has a few islands in the parking lot.

I think, it would take me about 4-5 hours to do including blow off. It's all flat land. What do you think?

By the way... Did your wife think you were crazy when you started too?

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you should have watched them on the bad days before jumping in lol. I can't say that overall that I think this is a fun business. I had fun in the beginning, but after a few years it became a grind just like any other job.
    Oh well, as they say the always looks greener on the other side

9. grebwv

grebwv LawnSite Member

TGMC,

I went the home route first. I am trying to land some commercial accounts later this week.

I placed a 7000 piece flyer in a local community paper (not the city paper). Had a few calls this weekend. Then I went on home visits this Sunday.

What I learned was:
    1) People are either looking to cut price.
    2) People hate the service from previous company.
    3) People want to change but have a loyalty to the other company. They can't make up their minds whether to move or not.
    4) I tried to go to a monthly subscription fee price versus weekly billing. People just want to pay weekly. Either I didn't sell it right, or, more likely, they are just used to doing it weekly.

Hopefully, commercial will go smoother as I gain some practice. I just checked VM and have 4 more messages, even with the snow flying outside today.

Regards,

William

10. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

TGMC, best advice that I can give is to do a quality job, no matter how bad you want to quit for the day. I find it's the little things, the details, that earn a company its reputation, even though most people can't seem to pin down why it looks so much better when so-n-so does it compared to when Billy Bob does it. ;)