1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any advice would be greatly appreciated .....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jonathanmb1974, May 17, 2008.

1. Jonathanmb1974

Jonathanmb1974 LawnSite Member

Ok, had a lady call me for an estimate today for her yard. Her previous LCO was let go because he somehow managed to kill her sod in the front yard. Funny thing is, its only dead in his tire tracks. I spoke to the LCO about it, and he said he always changed his route. He's been around for a while so I doubt he was pullin my leg. Any ideas on how this could have happened and how I can fix it other than resodding?
  2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

was the grass dry and brown when he mowed?
  3. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

If he really did change his route each time, how is the grass only dead in his tire tracks, as he would have tire tracks going all over the place? Do you have a way to upload and pictures of the dead grass?
  4. Jonathanmb1974

You can see his old tire tracks .. its just the recent ones that are browned out. It has been kinda dry and the customer doesn't have irrigation. That's another progect I'm getting for her.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The grass is apparently stressed (too stressed to take the weight of a ZTR apparently). Sounds like it needs rain, irrigation. Any well watered lawn should not have this problem. Is it cut at the proper height for your area and grass type?
  6. Jonathanmb1974

I measured it in a few spots when I gave her the estimate and it was on average 3", which for centipede is good. Do you think if I just walk mow it and keep it watered it might come back?
  7. cuttin-up

cuttin-up LawnSite Member

If he used a z-turn a hydraulic hose could have been leaking, that would explain why its dead near his tire tracks only, but you would think if he had a leak that bad he would know it.
  8. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

My guess is the grass isn't dead. If its been dry the grass has probably strated to go dormant. Just tell her to keep it watered and it should come back in a couple of weeks. If she doesn't keep it watered and it stays hot and dry, then the grass will stay dormant until conditions change. At least thats with cool season grasses. Its also possible that there is a fungus in the lawn and the tire tracks spread the fungus.