any advice would be nice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shanes Turn, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Shanes Turn

Shanes Turn LawnSite Member

Hello everyone
    I would like to say I wish I had found this site along time ago. This is my first post but I have learned so much in the last month as a reader Great Site keep up the good work. I have been doing this for about 10 yrs now I love this field but 10 yrs is long enough to know that you cant make any money unless you are the man. I just got a loan for $25000 to start up my own bizz.
    I have a 83 chevy 1500, 16 ft opentrailer and a pressure washer. I live in a townhouse with no where to store my equipment. the is a lot across the street $85 a month buys me a parking space. I would like to be mostly commercial but I know that will take some time. I believe in looking as prof. as possible so uniforms clean cut that sort of thing but I am a realist in that not everthing works out the way we see them. I guess my Qs are more on how would you spend that money if you where in my place looking to go comercial but knowing that fall is coming soon "leaf removal,aeration,seeding".
    I think leafs would be the easiest way to get my foot in the door (around me).
    I thankyou all for any insight that u might have on anthing related to my story.

PS I really like Exmark, Stihle, and Echo equipment

2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck that is a big loan to start out with in my opinion I hope it works out for you

3. Shanes Turn

its only going to cost 400 a month

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

1. Enclosed trailer...(no shop needed)
    2. Don't spend the money....let it sit there and your market will tell you
    how and where to spend it.
    3. If you only have 3-4 aerate..rent.
    4. Build the sides of your truck as high as you can with lumber for leaves.
    5. It doesn't matter how good or smart you are.....cash flow management is
    EVERYTHING!

5. Shanes Turn

thanks for the luck any suggestion??

6. Shanes Turn

I had planned on the enclosedtrailer, but I will start to make payments next mnth cant afford to wait really need to start making that money back. I was wondering more along the lines of new vs used, deck sizes,combinations of equip, wb vs ridding. Those sort of things. Like you said money management is everything so I want to strecth this money as far as possible. Thanks again

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW 2500.00 be carefull dont let it go to your head....

I have never had that much at one time...

I started slow, 5x8 trailer, exmark 52" cut line trimmers blowers and such.

Quickly discoverd I out grew my trailer. and was struggeling making decissions about equiptment,
    I suppose it would have been about the same as if I had a loan.
    I could have paid the money back insted of everytime I got a little cash I would go get equiptment,
    only advice I can give is Dont get uniforms, and do get a larger trailer.
    uniforms are for co's that have several employees if your gonna be solo for a while wait on things.
    BUT do get a 1st aid kit, and Fire extungisher <---"spelling " and insurance.
    watch out for things that will come in the mail. offers like pins with your name on it.

Best of luck

8. Shanes Turn

thanks for your advise

9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

A 5 year loan? Your equipment might not even make it that long. Might want to rethink that.

Mainly commercial? Might want to rethink that also. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. You could lose all your lots in one season due to underbidding by someone else. Residentials are the way to go when starting out. They will be more faithful to you.

As far as where to spend the money at. Id take $1000.00 right off the bat and do some serious advertising with postcards and doorhangers.

10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I started out with a 36 wb and a 48wb. Most of my lawns were 500 to 4500 feet. I went after properties that had lots of bed work, sprinkler systems, and older customers that had been there and done that. It was important to me to have lightweight machines that cut perfect. If you're looking toward volume cutting, obviously you might want hydro or ride on.