1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any Advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by darrenfix, Jan 26, 2006.

1. darrenfix

darrenfix LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out, and I need some advice about equipment. I'm thinking about getting a Gravely Z34, pro G, or the Pro H. any comments or advice would greatly help. I only will have 10 to 20 lawns which will be from a 1/4 to 3/4 of an acre. Thanks for the help!!!!!
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

With the Gravely, I highly recommend getting the Pro-Steer.

As far as Pro H or G, what are your future plans for the business, will this be your main mower, and are you going to be getting more accounts?

If you are looking to expand and gain more customers and still use this as your main mower, I highly suggest getting the Pro H. They will be more maneuverable and faster. There is also a fatigue factor to consider, the belt driven walkbehind will require more manual labor for backing up and in tough situations. Also, if you are going to be mowing anything wet, it's my understanding that belt driven walkbehinds are not good in the wet conditions.

I bought a 36" Gravely Pro H last year. I'm really glad I went with the hydro, no way I would want the hassle of a belt driven walkbehind. To me it was worth every extra penny.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i would definately get a wb you cant cut everything with a z
  4. trent515

trent515 LawnSite Member

Nice to know someone else is in the same predicament I am in. I too am looking at either a 34" ZTR or a walk-behind. I have done a lot of shopping in the past few months, and think I can get a LOT more mower for the money in a hydro walk-behind than in a Z. I am targeting several large neighborhoods, each with yards less than 1/3 acre, so I think the walk-behind is perfect for this, as I can cut quick AND fit through small gates. Haven't decided on which one yet, I'm trying to base my mower purchase off my number of contracts.