Any Arborist Here?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GravelyGuy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

A customer of mine had his tree hit by lightning 3 years ago and it split, but it did not fall. We just had some severe storms (tornados spotted) and the tree decided to come down, well halfway. He wants the entire thing taken out now.

I have taken down some pretty big trees, but never close to houses or powerlines like this. He wants an estimate for removing this tree. He wants the stump left behind for now to save on cost.

I am more than likely going to pass on this because I do not have a cherry picker, but I may be able to get access to one if I decide to do the job. I don't really know of any other way to cut something like this down other than with a cherry picker cutting off small sections at a time.

Anyways, if there is anybody on here that could help me with pricing I would appreciate it. I am probably going to pass on this, but I would liek to have an idea for the future how you guys price this stuff out.

Here are some pics.

Bill B Tree 001.jpg

Bill B Tree 002.jpg

Bill B Tree 003.jpg

2. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

The house is on the right side of the tree and there are power lines behind the tree and some to the left also:hammerhead:

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

that would be a slow one because of those lines. i have done quit a few id say between $2000 and $ 3000 i would go about 2400 my self. try arboristsite.com

4. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

$100 a dbh inch That tree appears to be around 40" - $4000
    Wood hauling a separate charge - that will be 2-3 straight trucks minimum - $1500
    No chipper? That will be another 2 straight truck load and the time required to bundle it all up and also dump it.

Because you appear to not have a bobcat, you will be cutting slices forever to get them small enough to handle...

A 44, 46 or 66 will be needed to efficiently cut that wood.

Consider calling a tree company and getting a quote from them, add your % for being the contractor, then charge the client to repair the turf and get it back in shape after the work is done.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

My arborist would bring in a crane on that one, crane charge 1500 bucks then normal removal charges. Total somewhere around 5-6k I think, then my percentage Min 10% and then charges to repair turf.....

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

holy crap 5-6k thats a lot, i would make a good lick at 3k

7. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

Are you insured for this type of work?

8. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thanks for the help. The guys know it is going to be a salty job, but I don't know if he would be allright with 6K.

As far as I know. I just switched my insurance form Grange to State Farm and I told them everything that I do including tree work. Now I don't know how they took "tree work"

Does this require special insurance/licensing?

9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I still bid some removals, and would probably go with about $2000 minimum on that one IF:

1. Lawn next to it is as spacious as it looks
    2. Safe to send a climber up - otherwise a bucket needs to get in there.
    3. Access for hauling brush is not like 200 feet away or more.

So if it's climbable, a chipper can get close by, and many limbs can be "bombed" or roped down to a big open lawn, 2K is about the least.

I'm positive that you can get a skilled non-certified removal service to do it for 2K or under if the tree can come down away from the power lines.

But the wrong combination of conditions could rack-up an easy 4K.

10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

check your insurance for sure, most policies don't cover up for being up in the air past 15 or so feet