1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

any Arkansas cutters? central arkansas mainly

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GravyTrain, Mar 17, 2007.

1. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting a bit nervous about my minimum price, especially after reading the post about minimum prices a few minutes ago. I was hoping there were some other arkansas guys (or gals) here who could give me an idea of the market. I had a lady tell me last year that cutting her lawn for $30 was a bargain. I've set my minimum at $35 this year, with the exception of my neighborhood which will always get a $5 discount. Based on the other thread, it seemed like 30 was typical nation wide, and with arkansas not exacly being the money making capital of the world, I'm afraid that the market is too low for a $35 cut.

As far as my expenses. I can make cuts for $30 and be financially where I want to be at the end of the year. But because I plan on offering services above and beyond the competition, the extra $5 seems reasonable.

Any suggestions?
  2. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i'm not from ARK. but i would say you'll be fine, if get turned down from work maybe go back to 30. but you should try $35 and see what happens
    Good Luck
  3. blewis3412

blewis3412 LawnSite Member

I live in NW Arkansas and I am a little hesitant to bid $35 on a .25 acre lot. I have been quoting $30 mostly. It also depends of the feel I get from the client. The other day I got a contract for $40 a cut on a .30 acre lot. I also don't have a lot of overhead, so it makes it a little easier for me to charge only $30.
  4. GravyTrain

@blewis - I'm pretty much the same way. Because this is a part time gig this summer, I don't have to make a profit, I just need to payoff my equipment and get a feel for the area, the customers and things like that. As long as I can get the client base, I can handle losing $5 a cut. Thanks for the info, and I'm curious to see if anyone else has any suggestions.
  5. advanced-prolawn

advanced-prolawn LawnSite Member

At least 35. I go for 40 unless it is maybe a townhouse where there is a very small front yard. I live in maumelle and I just started in the business and I am familiar with conway. I have a few jobs out there. most lawn businesses in our market turn work down everyday. People are willing to pay someone a fair price if they are dependable and do a good job.
  6. tat900

tat900 LawnSite Senior Member

40-50 in cabot and people think thats a bargain. I will not drop my trailer on a yard for less than 30 i have one yard that takes 10 min or less and its 30 every week .
  7. tat900

you got alot of work in conway havent went there ever for a cut maumelle has plenty of work
  8. GravyTrain

yea...conway is doing great. I actually had to turn down a customer in maumelle today because i've got plenty in conway. With the cost of gas and my time, I would wind up losing money to cut in maumelle at this point.
  9. tat900

send em m y way
  10. Prolawn of Cabot

Prolawn of Cabot LawnSite Member

I'm just trying to get started in the Cabot area. I have no overhead and I'm only charging 25. But I only intend to do this thru the summer. I'm only trying to raise enough to buy a motorcycle to combat the insane fuel prices. If you get some you can't do because you're too busy, send em to me I'll be happy to take all I can get!