Any B.C. or Seattle cutters?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Mar 7, 2002.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I used to live in B.C. around 15 years ago but that was before I did lawncutting. I am wondering how your season works with cutting. when do you start and finish and what do you do in the winter season when its raining. I was thinking about going back west but I was thinking about what to do if there is no snowplowing.

Thanks if you can answer Marty:p
  2. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

I'm in Seattle Martyman.

Our schedule goes something like:

2 in February, 3 in March, then once per week thru November, two or three more in December, quiet in January.

We do a lot more than mow, so we stay pretty busy. No snow here at all, don't know about BC. There are always hedges and blowing and leaf removal up the wazzu, you do get pretty wet though.

Did I answer all questions? Good luck.
  3. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I'm across the water from seattle about ten miles west.

Generally In january I may finish up what leaf work I may have left over, Febuary is pretty quiet except for I get all the mowers and equipt ready for the season and I may apply moss killers to some yards to start working before spring, also I start to work on getting new customers and call back old ones to let them know of any price increases and such.

March I start the mowing season and spring clean ups, I mow twice in march and keep the grass level at about 2.5 to 3 inches.
    this is also the time I spend thatching up the moss that I applied killers to, and I also start to do advertisements. March is also the month I see a lot of mistakes made by inexperienced LCO's and homeowners.... they generally cut the grass way to low and many times with a dull blade, you can tell just by looking at the yards.

From here on out it's full blown mowing and trimming and edging.
    I'll apply a weed and feed to those yards that the customer wants that service in april, and again in june, any dethatching jobs that I have are done By the end of may.

Late sept I start to do dethatching again and Aeration jobs, october I put down fall winterizers and come november I'll mow twice a month and do mostly fall leaf clean ups, December I'll just do leaf work.
  4. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

sounds like alot of wet leaves and grass. Maybe if I sell my plow I can by a vacuum system and clean up? I'm going to look at the real estate prices before I decide. I probaly can't afford to live near the rich areas of Vancouver were all the large houses with the tree lined streets are.

Hey Bubble boy whats your company name? go for coffee if your near Toogood. I drive a little red jeep and pull a trailer with my Gravely and Toro.

Thanks for answering Marty :blob3:
  5. skins 2008

skins 2008 LawnSite Member

just wondering if someone could tell me how to apply fert.properly without burning the grass.should i take some kind of course.british columbia
  6. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

I'm in Victoria