any bad things about the cyclone rake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbob, Sep 20, 2003.

1. jbob

jbob LawnSite Member

i have done my searches and am waiting on my imfo pack on the cyclone rake. the only thing i have read bad on cyclone rake is one person did not like the idea of a flex impellor. he had no experence with it. i am a small one man operation and looks like it would be the ticket for me. i am planning to enclose the front part of my 16' trailer to haul leaves. does the unit fold up easy enough that i could folded it to transport and save trailer space? can i easily unload trailer with this hose attachment?

thanks for any imfo.

jbob

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I went to their website www.cyclonerake.com and asked for the literature. They sent me brochures and a video, all very informative. Looks like a great unit, I cannot see a problem with the flexing impellor. With their pickup and unloader options, you could easily use this unit as a truck loader to load your trailer, or unload it. Unloading your trailer with it might not be the fastest option but not the worst one either (beats dragging it out by hand). I don't know on the folding up, i'm sure it would save space but would it be worth the hassle of unhooking, folding up, and doing that over and over again? The only, and I mean ONLY thing about it I don't like is the Tecumseh engine. If you don't already know, these are not premium engines. I work on a few machines for other people, and figured out long ago (other guys will agree) that the problem with Tecumseh is that the carburetors get clogged up too easily and are non-adjustable for the most part as well. So the carb. might need rebuilt once a season at most ($25-35 around here at a shop) but could be made to last longer if your careful to refill the gas in a clean environment and always drain the gas out of it if you will not be using it for a month or more. If you do this, you probably will not have a complaint with the motor until it gets many years old. From my experience with tow behind castering baggers, I'd suggest getting the dual wheel kit for less rutting if you have softer soil and or nice lawns. The higher capacity of the commercial model would be very nice as well. If using it with a zero turn mower, watch out on turns so you go careful and don't tear the grass, it will be more weight dragging it on turns.

Disclaimer: I've never used one but the above is just my observations and alittle is from my experience with castering swivel wheel baggers.

3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i already posted about this on another thread just 3 days ago.do a search its there.i have 2 of them and they work well for 1200 bucks

4. mike9497

FrankenScagMachines

i got news for you.new engines like kawi kohler no longer have adjustments on there carbs.only the high speed settings which is one screw.in order to make other adjustments the whole carb has to come apart.never had problems with tecumseh only kohlers i hate kohlers.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

6. mike9497

thank you Team Gopher

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Mike I know it, people wonder why I like older machines, instantly dial in a couple horsepower with the turn of a screwdriver :D many don't even have a high speed load adjustment any more :(
    some people don't have trouble with tecumseh's, some times people get fluke good or bad tecumseh's also, i've had some of both. would rather have a brand i can trust every one to be good like Kawi! Can't seem to get the Tecumseh carbs to stay together (working) for long. I've had good tecumseh's and bad ones... i guess get a cyclone rake and when the motor blows put on a Honda or Briggs or something (kawi don't make 5hp hoizontal). My gripe with Kohlers is they are kind of hard starting and are cold natured, compared to Briggs and Kawi's anyway. Never heard much bad about them though.

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Mike, just looked, i did say they were non adjustable carbs lol.

9. mike9497

you said just tecumseh.i was letting you no all small engines are like this now

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

other engine's do not have the carb problems that Tecumseh seems to have. since cyclone rake uses tecumseh, i was talking about it.