Any big equipment purchuses in 07?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrusk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think we had a thread yet about what we are all hoping to buy in 2007.

2006 wasn't a bad year for me. I got a 246b and a 18ft equipment trailer. And a bunch of smaller stuff.

This year i am planning on buying a 36 ft gooseneck so i can transport the fiberglass pools i'll be installing. I need to buy another truck. Not sure on exactly what yet. Next year i'll most likely be buying a used 120 excavator so i will end up buying a tandem to tow it. So i got to figure out what will compliment my needs best.

What about you guys?

Matt

2. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

We picked up a 2006 Bobcat T190 Gold Package, a 2006 430 Fast trac Mini exc, 2006 F-650, 1999 F-800, 1989 Isuzu NPR and A 2006 New Holland TT55 with a front end loader.
    Last year was a really big year for us and we hope to do twice as much this year. We already have are eyes on another Tracked Skid loader, like the new case machines or a Deere. We are pricing a New Ford LCF L45 to be one of our landscaping trucks. We are going to be building a couple of huge retaining walls in the next several months so we are looking at buying some specialty equipment for the wall projects. Keystone make a couple of neat toys for setting block.

keySET.jpg

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I want our 312 back. I hate working in a restaurant. I want to get done with college so bad now, I need to get the hell out of here so I can get back to dirt.

Seen a lot of jobs go past us after we sold the machine, tons and tons of just easy, hourly work that makes for nice off season filler. Cutting road and doing slash cleanup is easy money. Just fuel up, grease, crank the tunes and go. No engineers, no BS, just cash. I love those, but rarely do they exist.

Ah if only it was 7 months ago, 18 hour shifts of ripping trees out of the ground, driving 330 miles a week roundtrip to and from college, going to college full time Monday thru Friday and work on the weekends, good times. I really miss it.

As far as I know, nothing too big to purchase this year. My dad is focused on getting the motel he owns upgraded. He's had the place about 1.5 years now and the much needed improvements he's made so far are finally paying off. Still has some more work to go, I think that's where he's going to be putting the majority of his efforts this year. The landscaping market is getting crazy, too many people in it now. Getting a lot more cutthroat, I'm working remotely from school trying to devise a marketing strategy for my dad to differentiate us from the competition. When I can figure out exactly what that is, I think an investment needs to be made, whether it's in the form of education, equipment, or otherwise. We will not survive more than 3 more years doing strictly landscaping, too many guys doing it. Dad wants to get into pools, so if that happens we'll need a 5 ton excavator eventually, probably something used, debt just freaks my old man out, he finally admitted that buying the 312 scared the crap out of him. I knew we could have made it, it just would have come at my expense of taking a couple quarters off from school.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

For me, I have been told by one of my mentors that I should get ready to buy a skid. Don't want to, but my sounding board see's it in the near future. I have been doing extensive fix-up and repairs on my excavator and dump truck. I priced a replacement machine, and decided to pass on that and repair instead. I have some fairly large bids out there, and if just one "hits" I will need a 200 sized excavator with rotating grapple. I have done the homework, know what I would want/need, have it all spec'd out on paper just in case. My real desire would be to just stay the same size, not expand my business with more employee's and equipment, become more streamlined and efficient with the toys I have and eliminate all my debt....personal and business. I really do not want growth in terms of new equipment/overhead....I am hunting for real growth to my bottom line with what I have.......that too may be a pipe dream, 'cause here it is January and there is more work out there right now than I have seen in 10 plus years. Some larger outfits are booked through next summer solid. One chap with 20 guys and equipment to match, just got the ok to start the dig on 60 plus homes........

5. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

At my age probably no big equipment buy this year.I am looking to udate some of my laser equipment this year.I'm working on getting some of my machines updated to automatic grading.Trying to use some of my old equipment ,but they are getting outdated ,so is kind of a hassel,finding what will work with the stuff i have.

Biggest share of what i have i can use.I was wanting to get powermast and control box to be able to survey and break grade when i'm doing my drainage work.

Gps would be great ,never would get that system paid for ,so just going with some update to old system.Problem is i have Laser Alignment stuff they sold out to Lieca Geosystem and when they took over they discontued some of the old stuff.So it is out with the old and in with the new.

Going to try and convert box scraper over into automactic laser controled, for use on my skid .I'm going to be working on that, got part of what i need .Just need the hydraulic soleniod valve and get the wheel setup that i'll need and get to building.

Well be using for building prep for concrete contractor.

6. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

most likely a track loader. getting tired of renting. not sure which one to get a t190 or the cat 257

7. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

should be getting a dump truck this year. need to go ahead and get it. the research has been done and am starting to get tired of talking myself into and out of each diffrent truck i have looked at.
    good luck,

8. earthmover

earthmover LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I should be buying a 33,000 Lbs. dump truck and 20 ton tag trailer.

9. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Deere 35D mini-x:) :)

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I spent quite a bit of money in 06. A new 440 and 465, 9020B and trailer to pull it, a grapple bucket and pickup broom, set of new pallet forks (if anyone finds a brand that can stand up to rock work let me know), another dirt bucket for 440. For 07 I am working a deal on a new TB153, I actually ordered it we just need to work the details out ( I need a cab, working on top of ski all winter is making me realize I am either getting smarter or weaker but either way I can't handle the cold like I used to). I wont buy anything else until I get an idea of want 07' will bring.