any body ever use a soil moisture tester?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kickin sum grass, Jul 2, 2003.

1. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

if so how did it work

2. I want to see what is posted.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I would use one but with all the rain it would float away.

4. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

I tried to use one at a greenhouse I worked at some years ago. The boss said 'use your finger, works better'. Never found anything to argue with that ........

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Those semi flexible jointed things at the ends of your arms, pick one, hold it straight, gently see if you can stick it in the ground, then pull it out, examine to see if wet or dry.

For deeper testing, wrap all those flexible things around the handle of a small spade, stick it in the ground, examine soil that you disturb.

Is there any real need to use an electronic moisture meter in day to day life, except for the scientific types breeding new strains of grasses that never brown, wilt, grow more than an inch a week, and eat weed seeds for their own nutrition.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Can be useful in some cases. Have used the Kelway pH meter for years, and it has built in moisture indicator. Gives a reading of percentage of soil water capacity - the amount of water the particular soil can hold.

Really only need it in special cases. One might be a problem hill: since pH of soil can be influenced by the pH of irrigation water, you can check top versus bottom of hill to see if it is holding the water or mostly running off, and thus affecting the pH lower on the hill. Also useful to show a client that they are not watering enough in certain areas, or the whole lawn. People tend to argue less with an instrument reading than with your judgement, LOL.

Most common moisture test though is a large slotted screwdriver. With experience, you can tell by pushing it into the ground if the watering is sufficient. Keeps me from getting my semi flexible jointed things dirty.