any body had trouble with 25 hp kohler engines?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wsgiles, Sep 22, 2000.

1. wsgiles

wsgiles LawnSite Member

wondering if any body else has had problems with the 25 hp engine from kohler. I bought a used turf tiger in good shape 600 hrs. only to find it burnt oil real bad. When we got into it we found a scorn cylinder wall. Used it till it bent a push rod and I broke down and bought a new motor. With less than 200 hrs. the fuel pump broke. Took the old one off my bad motor till warrenty replaced it and found that it was broken also. Looks very possible that the broken part from the fuel pump could have scorn the cylinder wall. Any similiar promblems out there.
  2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

There have been long discussions on this very topic. Please do a search on keyword Kohler and you will find what you are looking for.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

do a search i think the answer is YES...
  4. tslawn

tslawn LawnSite Member

We have a 1999 Gravely 260Z with 730 hours on it. We have had problems like burning oil, engine tapping and now the muffler is burning out. Anyone else?
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said, Hmmmmmmm.
  7. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

Just thought I'd mention that I talked to a guy yesterday with over 700 hours on his Kohler 25. Not a single problem.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

One of my friends has a 98DC with 500+hrs,not a single problem either,but more of them than not have problems,which is unfortunate for us that do.I am fortunate for one thing,mine doesnt have that horrendous smartspark system that will always fail and costs 700 to replace.
  9. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

I hear a lot of people brag about 500 trouble free hours. We put a minimum of 1000 hours a year on our mowers. If it cant run for two years,trouble free,it's defective.
    We need to raise the standard, not be happy we got six months out of it before it blew up.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Bob,the standard for other engines and the standard for the 25 Command motors are not the same.If I get 500 hrs out of mine i will consider myself lucky,and it will be 3 yrs old then and ill have to eat it.I only will do about 200hrs a year,so it will blow out of warranty.This is always my luck anyway,i always get the junk,no matter how good its supposed to be.My (commercial) yeah right,engine will not last 3 years of residentail use.