any body have info

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Mar 4, 2011.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

on this company? just curious to know if anybody has run into them before and any info that might be not available on a google search.

http://www.dbiservices.com/

2. olcllc

olcllc LawnSite Member

I spoke with them this past fall... getting information regarding VM chemicals, rates and application method. They were very helpful but thats the extent of it.

3. turf hokie

Thanks Olcllc, they are starting to do work around here and just wanted to see if I might be up against a brick wall on future work around here.

They look like a monster company and man its gonna suck to go up against them on some of this work..

Any body else??

4. Dandylyin Slayer

Dandylyin Slayer LawnSite Member

They are VERY BIG and well connected, do industrial and railroad weed control
    around here. Oh did I mention they are cheap ?

5. olcllc

olcllc LawnSite Member

Not sure what your niche is... I thought they only did large industrial plants and facilities 100 - 500 acre places.

6. turf hokie

Niche is anything that we are licensed to do....

we do some right of way, and municipal type work for vegetation control.

They just took an aquatic contract locally and I am a wee bit nervous that the work I have is next on their list....

7. olcllc

olcllc LawnSite Member

I've heard they have extremely good buying power and even manufacture some of their chemicals but don't hold me to that. I'll do some more research.

I've approached our local electric cooperative but they are in a five year contract with a group out of Texas which i believe just subs out the work.

8. olcllc

olcllc LawnSite Member

Ok, since I last visited DBI Services website in Oct or Nov 2010 it has changed because they did not have the three other divisions: Aquagenix, Alenza, and Lawn Specialties. Alenza is their chemical distributing division so i can see where it would be hard to compete price wise since they own the chemical company and distribute others as well. Talk about owning the market.
    I hope they stay in the North East.

9. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Sounds and looks like the mafia.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

10. turf hokie

Yeah, I am not happy about this situation that has presented itself. My contacts are not thrilled about their presence because they are more than happy with our work and results but unfortunatley for me it is a low bid situation....

this is gonna suck...the only upside to this is, honestly, the materials part of what we are contracted to do are minimal, it is one of those labor intensive projects....

I feel like David against Goliath, hope my slingshot is accurate...