Any cemetary mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NY911Bowhunter, May 16, 2007.

1. NY911Bowhunter

NY911Bowhunter LawnSite Member

Long story short, my father in law has mowed an old cemetary since he was a kid. That got passed onto my Wife, and once we met...passed to me.;)

It is 2.7 acres, seperated into 2 sections by the driveway. One side is much larger, with less stones. For the past 9 years I have mowed the smaller side, which is much older (very soft, sunken graves!) and stones placed in varying rows...nothing even.

This past fall I got the whole cemetary by default, the commercial operation who did the large side gave it up...

I do pretty well with the mowers I have, a 33 inch Cub walk behind, the chinsey Lowe's special Toro 42 inch z-turn, and a few Echo weedwhackers...

I operate solo, with nothing but Gatorade, Skoal, and my MP3 player....start to finish...7 hours. Mind you I am not rushing through to get to the next contract, this is the only lawn I do for now (looking to branch out next year), so I do not mind taking what I consider to be a long time - there is ALOT of weedwhacking......:dizzy:

The kicker was when I got paid for the first time doing the whole thing......

$100 bucks a side! $200 bucks for 7 hours work!:cry:

Next year, the price goes up!:laugh:

2. NY911Bowhunter

Just for haha's here's an aerial map of it...

tamenia_geoaccess28082948199392.jpg

3. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

the cemetery does not look like many stones I mow cemeteries also that is not bad money that comes out to a little over $25.00 an hour b4 gas and the other good stuff

4. NY911Bowhunter

Glad to hear that....Like I said, I have nothing to base the pay scale on, so any input is appreciated.

As far as the stones, there are millions (well, alot) of the little ground level jobbers out there...

5. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

Looks like its out in the middle of no where.

6. NY911Bowhunter

Ha! Yeah it is......deep in horse ans $$$$ country....where the NY Citiots "get away!"

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I wouldn't touch a cemetary for $50/hour. That's just me though. Especially an older cemetary with unlevel graves, uneven grave stones, etc. I wouldn't do it for $75/hour. I'd think about it at $100/hour but I'm still not sure I'd do it.

8. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i do one and i love it.one section very old back 1800's.its behind the church i go to.that sounds about right down here.i get to spray the head stones and fence so very little trimming.

9. NY911Bowhunter

I've thought about spraying, but was concerned with how it would look as far as eveness...

What exactly do you spray and how do you apply it. How often do you reapply?

10. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

my cemetery is 20 acers with 2 garages which I get the use of all stones are in rows the 3 older ones have blocks so a little hand mowing goes with it