Any Chariot/Chariot LX reviews?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Pinnacle's thread about the remote control unit for Great Danes reminded me to take time to ask.... How are you owners liking your new Chariot/Chariot LX mowers? I was thinking about asking back when leaves started to fall because of the new deck design

[​IMG]

And the new bagger system

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Have you seen the new models in the flesh Envy?

I've had a good look at em a few times now and I don't really like a few things about em.
    The hand deck lift dosn't do it for me.
    The engine mounting platform isn't tappered up like the old models so your departure angles arn't to flash wich I can see leading to the bottom of the engine gaurd digging in on vertical embankment departures.
    The frames don't look nearly as beefy as the old model even though GD claim it's %30 stronger or what ever :rolleyes:
    I don't like the under seat ignition, blade engage etc.

The new deck looks good though and the standard heavy duty canister filter is a winner too. (I paid $1600 AUD to fit both my old model danes with donaldson fillter arfter market!)
    But having said that I havn't spent any amount of time opperating a new model so as far as I know they could be real preformers.

I'll keep my old model Danes though thanks.
    When they start to give up the ghost I think I'm gunna go with Scag next time.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Good day mate! :waving:

I forgot you had Danes.... My thoughts and the dealer's thoughts are right on with yours. The old double frame style (Scag style) 'looked' better and stronger.

I wonder about those decks though.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I recently saw some new Dane's at the dealer recently. They looked like a well built machine and the prices were average.

Have you decided not to get the new Lesco or are you just looking around a little more before you take the plunge?

5. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look's like a hustler deck on a scag?

My dealer said the same thing about the frame. They are nice, but not for me.

6. Envy Lawn Service

No, I think it's actually just an open style deck with a built in anti-blowout lip that traces the blade arc.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Well, the truth is, I'm really wedged up on that decision. The main reason is nothing more than sheer distance between me and the nearest Lesco store.

But that has no tie to this thread. I was honestly just curious because there was a good bit of talk when the new design came out. Then silence........ A Great Dane forum was opened here. Then it was closed........

8. Firefighter698

Firefighter698 LawnSite Member

This spring, I bought the Chariot LX with a 26 HP EFI Kohler, 61" deck. I couldn't be more pleased. Stripes very well without a "stripeing kit". I saw the collection system, is that an Australia only product?, it's not on the US Great Dane site.

9. Envy Lawn Service

No, the bagger is a US accessory also. I have seen one so equipped at a dealership before.

OK, now am I not right that the front part of the new deck is just open and the part that traces the blade arc is just a lip? Seems like that would control front blowout really well....

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

That large lip should help to reduce blowout.