Any comments on a SHIN-T2500???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at buying a Shin T2500 trimmer that my dealer has from a buy out a while ago. I believe this is last years model, but it is new/never been used. He wants $286 for it. What do you think as far as the price and the trimmer in general. Also, if you run this model or any Shin trimmers do you remove the gaurd? I am sick of my Echo crap, it may find its way to the dump next year and be replaced by RELIABLE equipment.
  2. noclevername

noclevername LawnSite Member

As long as you're talking about a SHINDAIWA-T2500 I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've been running Shindaiwas since the early 80's and while I'm sure you'll hear arguments pro and con, in my experience I think they are the one of the best on the market at this time.
    I think the T-2500 is the four-stroke model and to be honest I don't have any experience with them, but we have 16 Shindaiwas from an old S-25 (early 80's trimmer) to the PB-270 (power broom) to the M-230 (multi-attachment tool) and others (hedge trimmers, blowers, brush-cutters and other trimmers etc......) and they have been about the most reliable machines I've owned.
    The price seems pretty good, they list @ $619.00 CAN $ (probably about $ 450.00 US $).
    Again, I've had no experience with the 4-strokes, and the T-230XR would be the equivalent 2-stroke (2 lbs lighter and the same hp. also a little cheaper) so if you wanted a 2-stroke that might be the way to go. Either way I'm sure you'll be happy.
    Oh by the way, we usually remove the guard on all the trimmers it makes them a little lighter and visibility is improved. (I'm sure there are lots of people who choose to keep them for the safety factor though)
  3. Esby

Well, just bumping this to the top. I am going to try out this T2500 tomorrow and if I like it, probably buy it. Is there anything, good or bad, about this trimmer or the Shin's in general. I'm excited to ditch my SRM2400 piece of JUNK! Use it as a back-up I suppose.
  4. Esby

The thing started right up on the first pull, its remarkably quiet, and the whole head design was well thought out. I did respool it once and for my first time I with that kind of head it went pretty smoothly. Plenty of power too! Needless to say, I bought it. Here's a picture-Good Bye Echo!:D

5. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I used to love the shindaiwas. I am going to switch to RedMax. It seems the newer Shindaiwas have become throw aways, and we can't get more than 2 years out of them... Our equipment is worked hard and probably gets used 50 hours a week... They just don't seem to hold up anymore.... Just my 2 cents...
  6. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer lent me one for two days when my T-270 got stolen.

I loved the head design, low noise level and the power. They are great on fuel.

only problem is that I'm 6'2" and I found that the 3" shorter than the 270 was hard on my back.

7. Company5

Company5 LawnSite Member

Buy the Shindaiwa and put a Stihl easy load trimmer head on it. You'll need the threaded adapter for it to fit the Shindaiwa. An fireman lco friend of mine turned me on to Shindaiwas about 5 years ago and I've never looked back. They are not prone to flooding and cold natured like Stihl. Althoug I love my Stihl Super 028AV chain saw.