Any commercial grade 4 cycle hedge trimmer with separate oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Dec 15, 2007.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have been looking for a hedge trimmer with 4 cycle and separate oil. Anyone know of any commercial quality one? I check Shindaiwa, Stihl, Husqvarna, RedMax, Tanaka, Robin, Kawasaki and Makita already, I don't see any.
    Thanks

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a green thing? Usually those units are heavier and that is probably the most important factor

3. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Absolute not!!! First of all I want it to be quiet. Also secondary, it's the oil thing!! All the debate on oil brand and oil ratio. I just want to be simple and have separate oil.

Give me some suggestion on the quietest 2 cycle. Not the 4 cycle mix oil like Stihl 4 mix and Shindaiwa C4.
    Thanks

4. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

And do it NOW! ...=)

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Blowers, trimmers, mowers all noisy why worry about hedge trimmers? Put in the ear plugs and get a Echo 2 stroke. Can't be anything simpler than putting a measured container of echo oil in a 2 gallon gas can. I find it difficult to understand how a real four stroke can oil the unit properly when you turn it in all directions. The nice Honda four stroke on our triller is very quiet and Heavy compared to another unit we have with echo 2 stroke on it.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is no debate on the oil brand and ratio. You just keep making it out to be harder than it is.

7. Infinity Landscapes  Inc

Infinity Landscapes Inc LawnSite Member

I have 7 sthil pole pruners and I do the sthil premix bottles each bottle is 2.5 gal. Easy not extra cup to deal with. only the guy runnen the gas pump. good luck on the seperate oil thing never seen it before. I have combo of 4 mixes and staight up pruners.
    Later

8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I've seen a few of these questions asked and I have to say I agree with Richard Martin on what he said. It's so simple to put a bottle of oil in a can of gas, with Stihl you can go from 1 gallon all the way to I believe a 55 gallon drum of mix. I personally mix 5 gallons at a time with the pre measured bottles from my Stihl dealer.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you could always get a nice quite suitcase generator, and plug in a set of little wonder commercial shears. that one of the methods we use we were are doing work near classrooms.

10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I've thought about doing that to reduce the vibrations from the gas units I usually use because after a while I get hand arm vibration syndrome symptoms and I wear anti vibe gloves and try not to trim too much at once.

I also like the benefit of no exhaust in the face and lighter weight of elec. units. Do you use an extended reach elec- I think Mantis makes one.

My ? is do you / the crew like the electric? I used LW elec. back in the day and switched to gas becasue extension cords are a pain and all the other reasons- more power, etc. Would you recommend that set-up of generator?

I find I'm super fast w/extended reach gas trimmers and don't think I really want to go back to cords and shorter trimmers, but I might do a combo of elec for low and more detailed work and gas for higher shrubs, hedges.
    Thanks man