Any companies ever made a trimmer with a shaft housing made of carbon fiber ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Apr 26, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I see bikes with carbon fiber frames all the time. Why not trimmers? I bet it would be expensive though.

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Why would they do that? Seems like too much $$ and not worth it.

3. tb8100

from TX

I don't know how expensive they would be. But if you could shave a pound off a trimmer without too much added cost....that's big.

4. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

The idea of a high speed/low drag trimmer with a shaft of carbon fiber is pretty cool and albeit, a viable idea but the price tag on that sucker would be astronomical. CF is a pricey material to begin with. Plus, it can chip and splinter if you hit it hard enough with a hard object. CF splinters in flesh will drive you nuts. Been there, done that...

5. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

I doubt it would shave and ton of weight, and I bet that it would make the trimmer unbalanced.

6. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Like fiber glass, carbon fiber would not be good for shaft housing. It has a low resistance to abrasion (resin).
    Best is aluminum for that use.

7. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

You would constantly have to oil the joins where the carbon fiber met the metal like i used to do on my BMX bike, and the material is so brittle that a bad rock toss could send a crack up the whole unit. Its bad for tools, which is why no one uses it for tools.

8. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

carbon fiber compared to alumminum in weight would there even be a diffrence. you wouldnt sell me one. i buy new trimmers all the time dont fix something thats not borken.

9. tb8100

from TX

Ah, didn't realize it was a brittle material. Interesting. Well, it was a thought anyway.

10. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I don't think the difference would be that big. For the sake of shooting the breeze, this is what I think could potentially reduce weight:

1) Go half crank. Anyone ever feel the weight of the crankshalf of a full crank, it has counter weight on both end. Also the back bearing.
    2) eliminate the main ball bearing. Use the standard bronze bearing that is used in cars and bigger engines. Increase 1cc or two to compansate the lost in effeciency. This reduce the weight of the bearning.
    3) larger diameter flywheel so you can reduce the weight and still keep the moment of initia for keeping the engine spinning.
    4) Using rare earth magnet for the ignition. Check out the ones use in Hard disk drive, they are so strong you only need very small piece to safe weight. Also stronger magnetic field meaning you can use smaller ignition coil module. THe module is a piece of iron, reducing size meaning safe weight.
    5) Use smallest spark plug to safe weight.

THis will make a cheaper engine. But this will help saving weight. I don't think using polycarbonate crankcase will safe that much weight. Maybe a polycarbonate shaft will safe a little weight but it will definitely flex.

Make the trimmer a cheap disposable type will have advantage of saving weight. You can even use nylon gear to reduce the weight of the head. I don't see anything wrong making the commercial trimmer disposable. It will be much cheaper and you can keep one as spare all the time.

I know I'll be attack left and right again on this!!!! So it is time for me to hide!!! See you!!!