Any Con's to owning a Z-Spray?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shady Brook, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Everything I see is positive with the Z-Spray, does anyone have any problems with them? One concern I have with the rider/sprayers is having the product clog in the hopper, is it more of a concern with a Z-spray, or is it less of a concern. I was leaning toward a Perma-Green, but with some many negative comments, I am looking at the Z-Spray.

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Shady Brook, Although my Z-spray is only 10 months old, it has over 450 hours of production, which is just a little less than the combined hours on my 2 PG's that are 2 and 4 years old. Why? Because the PG's never went more than 2 weeks without a problem were as the Z-Spray has had only two down days in its very productive life. Both were simple fixes that were handled immediately by LT Rich. I have previously posted about my 30 second fix to product clogging, remove the agitater arm! Just empty the hopper completely every 3-4 fills and you won't have any problem with clogging. Do yourself a favor and get the Z.
  3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

These are my concerns with the z

1. Method of opening spreader, I dont like the idea of a cable, to easy for it to slip, move or stretch.

2. Size, it is much bigger then the pg, and doesn't have a drop down handle to walk behind when things get steep. Under 36" wide is very important for transport and gates.

3. Non lesco hopper, I think lesco's the best, Ive been spreading with one for 19 years and personally would have a hard time switching.

I dont own one yet, I do own 2 pg's
  4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i have had 2 perm-a greens since 1993 and yes they broke down. i to maybe looking into the z spray and interested in the con's of owning one.
    i e mailed lt rich 3 times and only had one returned to me. :realmad:
    my main concern is the maneuverability of the bulky z spray.
    i like the perm-a-green. it is easy to get around . i place it on the rack and there i go...but heat working on it.
  5. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

the z-spray is exteremely manuverable, superior to the PG - however the PG is more accessible - gates , etc
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I was thinking about the Z-spray Jr.. It is supposed to go through a 36" gate I believe, or is 36" across. I wonder how it compares to the Perma for Manuverability?

Have you tried calling the company? I did last year, and got Mr. Rich on the phone right off the bat. He seemed very helpful, willing to answer any question I had, and offered to modify the machine to suit my needs. I think he said he could size one down to fit where a 32" mower would go by changing tires and maybe some other slight modifications. I think where would be some sacrifice with rutting, and instability.

Oh yes, one more question? On wet ground, will the Jr. Rut? Seems like a bunch of weight on that machine, and looks similar to my 36" Stander which is prone to rutting.

7. mwallingford

mwallingford LawnSite Member

Nothing but a Z.
  8. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for your replys//
    should call him.
  9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I only have 3 rounds on mine, but the only problem I've had is how it roughs up my shins on rough ground. I just can not believe the time it has save me!!!
  10. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I know the only con is that you will hope nobody else in your town will get one cause they are so damn good. Best machine I have ever owned.