Any cost effective recommendations for a pull behind aerator for the ztr's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Oct 30, 2003.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I know weight is a problem with the pull behind units and I don't want to spend the $ for a full out walk behind machine. What cost effective aerators are you ladies and gentlemen using? Perhaps some links or prices would help also.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The Feldmann Turfvent is an EXCELLENT machine (towbehind) for the money. It went for about $400 a few years ago, but is heavily built for the money. You can use 4 or 5 bags of tubesand on top of it for weight.

3. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

I just rented a Turfvent yesterday. Ihave a JD that I bent some tines on so I went up to the local rental shop. I got a 48" and it worked awesome. Heck ,$30 for the whole day, great deal!

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The TurfVent is $528 for the 48" pull behind core areator. Not a bad deal at all. It's very similar to the Sears model except it has twice as many tines.

5. Part Timer

Part Timer LawnSite Member

I just bought a pull behind from lesco's. Its 60" wide and you can take the hith off and it will hook up to a tractors 3 point hitch. Its around 400 lbs. and it was $1600. Its commercial quality with all the bearings. They also offer a 48" for $1400.

6. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, let me ask this then. What amount of weight would you not exceed when pulling with a rider? How much weight before the stress of the load could start to effect the hydro unit?

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

You may laugh at this, but I have a friend that bought two Lowe's specials for $40 a piece. Tow behind core aerators, for large areas. Put a couple of cinder blocks on it for weight, and the things actually work great. I laughed at first, but you'll see me with a couple for next season. Gotta love disposable aerators! :cool:

8. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a picture of the Turfvent. Click image for link.

[​IMG]

10. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the feldman turfvent and have used it for about 6 years. Just replaced the tines this year at a cost of about $100 for the tines. It does the job for me. I would also look at the Claussen (Lesco), .........while it is about 3 times the price of the feldman it is also built heavier and should last longer.