Any current or former davey tree workers?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by P.Services, Sep 13, 2007.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

if you are or have worked for Davey tree what did you think of it? buddy of mine just started and is making 16 an hour and has all ready been kicked up to a foreman with four English speaking Mexicans under him. his super made 158k last year. that does not seem to bad to me. i am thinking of going to work for them and sell me equipment or keep my company going and work for them also. and on top of that the trucks they run look effing awesome!!!!!

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I know a guy that works for them. He retired from Consumers Power, where he was a trimmer for several years (retired as a lineman). he enjoys it. These guys make ALOT of money on the side, also. When they were contracted to trim away from all the power lines in the subdivision across from us. They were doing all SORTS of extra work back there. I took some limbs (alot) out in a customers yard and they chipped and hauled them for about 30 bucks. We had them come in and trim a willow tree and take another down (HUGE) in our own yard, and they did that real cheap, as well. We took care of the big wood (brush pile). They dropped an EASY 1000 dollar tree for 500 bucks (old full willow). Their supervisor showed up one day and asked them what they were doing (there was a father and son and a few others). He ended up telling them "Just hustle it up".

3. warren piece

warren piece LawnSite Member

My father retired from a company called West Tree Service. They trimed trees away from power lines as well. The owner of West Tree got his start with Davey. His starting pay was 50 cents a hour.

4. P.Services

any one else?

5. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

Davey is big in Toronto, they seem like a well run company. We take care of townhouses and they have contracts to come in twice a year and trim all of the bigger trees that we can't handle. I know they get paid well, and I know that they charge well too!

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

what is your life goal? you most likely will not become wealthy or at least not even well off working for someone else but you could working for yourself but that is my opinion I could be wrong

7. P.Services

i think pulling in 158 grand in one year could be considered well off

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Sure it is I agree, but it is only equivlant to around 75.00 per hr. don't you think you can do a lot better than that running your own deal ?