Any dampner replacement tips?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by HighGrass, Jul 2, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Is there any tips to replacing a set of dampners? I'm changing my first set out at 650hrs.

Thanks.

Oh yea, I'm thinking about taking the whole lower mount off and getting it out of the machine before I fool with that c-clip. Is that cool?

(2001 Laser HP52" 23HPKAW 3XXXXX)

2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

unbolt, and put back on the way they came off. Should take 10 minutes.

3. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Yea...I actually finished it yesterday. My only grip is the way the upper dampner end is connected to the control arm linkage. With double locking nuts? Seems like the engineers may want to think about something a little more"finished" like a ball socket set-up.

4. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Okay...now I am slightly more than miffed about the way the dampners are attached to the control handle linkage. A bolt and 3 nuts? What was the thinking here? You guys didn't even chose to use a nylon insert nut? Well today, I was trying catch up on some work and one of those "jam" nuts came off and I was dead in the water for about an hour until I canned a nut off another piece of equipment. It really didn't hit me until I was out in the hot sun just how cheesy this linkage attachment was. Is there any "real parts" available that I can use on this setup if I don't like the present "3 nut" method?

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

HighGrass,

Sorry to here you ran into issues. If you are having issues I am guessing either it was put back together wrong or it simply didn’t get it tight enough? This has been a simple and reliable way of attaching the dampener. The first nut sets the distance for the dampener to ride in, the next nut spaces it away from the control arm and the last one tightens everything down.

We use to have a fancy shoulder bolt with a nut that you had to loc-tite into place. This was not very user friendly to change. You may need to have your dealer look at it. I hope this helps, Thanks Fred.

Fred Fugett

Customer Service Representitive

402-223-6270

fred.fugett@exmark.com

6. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

exmark did something cheesy? no way! you can't be serious?

7. eXmark

hornett22,

I would be more than happy talk with you about any concerns you have? You can call me directly. Thanks Fred.

402-223-6270
    fred.fugett@exmark.com

8. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

no thanks fred.i'll stick with scag.you really need to do something about those spindles though.that is not fair to your customers.who is the Einstien that came up with non greasable spindles?i know it sounds good in a broshure but come on.i think the new gravelys are nice mowers but i'll never buy one because of the so called "maintenance free" spindles.

9. eXmark

I don't know who the first manufactor was that made a non-grease spindle. That would make a good trivia question.

Fred Fugett
    fred.fugett@exmark.com

10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had those Exmark spindles run for over 2000hrs without a problem.