any diesel power addicts out there?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JShe8918, Sep 15, 2011.

1. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that is into diesel performance. If you look at my signature you can tell i am an enthusiast and any money that i make generally goes into this darn truck. Not that i ever would, but I almost think it would be cheaper to be addicted to drugs than this truck! Bought it used for 35,000 and said just a grille guard, winch, tint, wheels, and tires will suffice. Well then came the $800 programmer that opened my eyes to the diesel performance world. Soon it was a different programmer, then a built transmission, a larger turbo, then BOOM a blown head gasket and a few bent rods. $30,000 later i had a full blown race truck that i use for work everyday and alot of play on the weekends!

2. 5speedpsd

5speedpsd LawnSite Member
    from NWCT

I usto have one of those addictions dropped more money into my old truck then I new what to do with. Had a 97 F350 powerstroke 5 speed. Had cam, injectors, turbo, chip and a programmer, intercooler, intake, 4 inch turbo back leveled with 35's. Had alot of fun with that truck and spent way to much money on the truck. I've wanted to build my 6.0 for awhile but can bring myself to do it. All I have in it now is a small chip mostly for fuel milage. Might be buying an 02 cummins for my next toy though if I can find one I like.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I built mine for reliable power.

4. JShe8918

I know the feeling. I just ripped my motor out and am reverting it back to stock. My next project is either a 07 5.9 megacab dodge 2500 or an 08+ f250 6.4. The duramax is a great platform. In both stock and modded forms. I don't honestly think I could drive a stock truck after having this truck. Down at suncoast dyno day in fort walton florida she laid down a new best of 897 hp and nearly 1650 torque corrected on a small shot of nitrous. My tuner was there telling begging me to let him swap in a larger jet and I wouldn't let him. He was wanting 1000 hp. My reply was I'm not going for broke. All I wanted was 850. Previous best was 727 with rough tuning and the torque skills my mind at the moment.

Now I have a few suggestions to you about the 02 duramax. The 02 lly has some issues. You need to make sure the injectors have been replaced. And take it to the dealership and have them check the balance rates of the injectors. They should be between -4 and +4 in park and -7 and + 7 in drive. If they aren't. Then one of the inceptors is going bad or the injector cup is messed up. Either way it's about a 6000 dollar repair in the old lb7 because in those motors you have to remove the heads together to them. Now if u find one and buy it you should definitely get up with rob coddens in eagle Idaho at Adrenaline truck performance and get some efi live tunes from him instead of a crappy programmer like bully dog Or something. He tunes my truck and is awesome at what he does. He could build u a tune that would net 20-24 mpg on the highway easy and be completely safe to your truck. Just my two cents! Best of luck!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. JShe8918

Meant 02 lb7.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Yep... 06 f250 with the 6.ohhh ccsb. 6" bds lift with superlift traction bars, 18" ion wheels, fierce attitude mt tires. Rcd egr delete and arp studded. 58v hot ficm, airdog 2, industrial injection hybrid turbo, industrial injection 190 injectors, s&b intake, spearco intercooler, mbrp 4" to 6" tip straight thru. Snow water meth stage 2 kit with large tank. Sct x3 programmer with tunes from innovative diesel and edge cts monitor for gauges. working on building a tranny soon but the stock has held up nicely. Best truck ive had to date, even better than my last 02'cummins project. More comfortable and cleaner running considering the mods. It is an expensive hobby but well worth it when you dust a sports car in an 8000 lb truck pulling a trailer lmao.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. JShe8918

Your truck sounds sweet! There really is nothing like beating sports cars in these big trucks. People r like what just happened! You have very similar mods on your truck as to what I want to put on the 6.4 ford if I buy it. It would be my first powerstroke so I would love tO hear your input on my want list. Elite egr delete with wastegate, elite h11 head studs, fass 150 lift pump, turbo back straight pipe, afe intake, cold air inforce tube (forget the real name), and Spartan tuning. Maybe later on upgrading to a 59 mm charger cod the small and a 74mm precision turbo with some Injectors. I don't know how much these things can handle on stock block. You should post a picture of your truck it sounds nice !
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Yea ill get a pic up when i get home. Sounds like yer on the right track. The tube you speak of im thinking your talking about the intake manifold? You will need a dpf delete on your list as well. Will get pics up later
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. JShe8918

10. PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 1985 300D Mercedes Benz with 160k that I did some mods to .
    KaN air tube filter mod,3inch streit pipe non muffler car, tweaked the fuel injector pump up a bit.
    It ran at the Gainesville track best time was 16.5- 18 seconds @80+mph
    those cars do zero to sixty in 25 seconds so I was proud of the deisel tunning I did :laugh:
    Probly went from 120hp to 160+hp nothing much but it was fun smoking tires in a slow Benz :)
    And yes it did do black smoke with a blip of the throttle:laugh: and 119 mph:cool2: