any diesel tech do gooders here?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by greenleaflandpest, Mar 12, 2014.

1. wssolutions

wssolutions LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I have an 04, had everything that should go wrong with it, go wrong. I agree the silicone boots could be what you are hearing. RiffRaffDiesel was the best price and quality for the boots. A tuner would be a great investment, as long as it has diagnostics. I have the Hyperpac from HyperTech, it improves performance, fuel economy, monitors much more than the gauges and tells you when the dealer is ripping you off. Plan on a front end, turbo, egr cooler, oil cooler, egr valve (at least cleaning it), some injectors, fuel pump blue spring kit & FICM power supply, beside the regular maintenance. Oil changes & fuel filter changes are a must, I use Schaeffer's 700 15W40 and it makes a difference. The engine had no sludge when the egr cooler & oil cooler were replaced at 129K. Good luck.

2. tcm5483

tcm5483 LawnSite Member

just got thru putting one back together got almost 2qt of coolant out of the turbo from a bad egr cooler.the tuner is a good idea just don't turn it to high u will be doing head gaskets and bolts and coolant res tank rad and mabe alittle more.

3. action1

action1 LawnSite Member

Sounds like the variable vanes in the turbo are sticking. There is a video on u tube that shows how to try and fix by cleaning.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. greenleaflandpest

greenleaflandpest LawnSite Member

weather is getting warmer guess im gonna have to tinker around with it

5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Dido. I'm surprised no one else said that. Also with that I would be extremely careful until its fixed because if you are not getting enough air that means your exhaust temp is really hot and you could warp a head and blow a gasket. carbon can gum up your veins. The 6.0 is made to get on it to blow all the crap out of it.
    Posted via Mobile Device