Any downside to iron?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by stryper, Apr 1, 2005.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

I did an early, mid-February application of Lesco Dimension 18-0-10, and I'm planning on skipping the weed & feed app this spring in favor of a grub app a little later. Would there be any harm (or benefit) to throwing down some Lesco 5-10-31 (10% iron) in the meantime to give my yard/roots a little boost?

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Why are you skipping your "weed and feed" app? Are you sure about the percentage of iron you listed? Too much iron can alter the ph of the ground I have heard. As for which direction on the scale....I don't remember.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have put down to much and it seemed to turn the green grass kind of a Blue Color.

John

4. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

No problem with the iron -- but the 5-10-31 is a dangerous product. It is all MUriate of potash -- a very high CL level and salt index.

Marketed as summer appliation -- but that is a dangerous time to use a product as harmul as that.

5. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

At this point, I can spot treat my weeds and keep them under control; I'm more concerned with potential grub damage, as we're big on Japanese Beetles around here, and I don't want to overdo the amount of N prior to summer stress. So, I'm thinking I'll skip the weed & feed in mid-spring and hit it in the early summer with a Merit combo to meet both my fert and grub concerns in one application. (Of course, I didn't make this plan up on my own, I talked about it with my Lesco guys.)

According to the label, it is 10% iron. Other than that, I'm honestly not sure of anything...that's why I'm asking advice here.

Here's the link: http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=016475
    Why exactly is this product so dangerous? I really don't know enough chemistry to make sense of the label, other than that I intend to put it down at the "recommended rate." What bad things are likely to happen, especially as I'm thinking of putting it down now rather than later in the summer?

Thanks for the input guys.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is more like a golf green product (except for the iron). I can tell you one thing, if you use a product like that, I hope your not the one mowing it! You will grow an extremely thick stand of grass, that will basically blow the customers' minds. They will be asking you the same type things as they ask me,...like. "How in the world do you get that many blades of grass in a sq. ft.?"

7. LonniesLawns

from KS

Ok lets talk about some basic label reading to start with.

TOTAL NITROGEN (N) .............................................. 5.00%
    3.90% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    1.10% Urea Nitrogen This part of the label breaks down the nitrogen for you. Different nitrogen sources have differnt effects on soil chemistry and will release at different rates. HAVE to know the difference between Ammonical and urea nitrogen.
    AVAILABLE PHOPHATE (P2O5).............................. 10.00%
    SOLUBLE POTASH (K2O) ....................................... 31.00%
    IRON (Fe) Total ........................................................ 10.00%
    0.10% Water Soluble Iron (Fe) This shows you that less than 1% of the iron applied is readilya vaialble for uptake
    DERIVED FROM: Urea, Ammonium Phosphate, Muriate of
    Potash, Iron Sucrate. This part shows you what the ingredients that make the fertilizer are. This is where you know that the high potash come from muriate of potash. MOP sterilizes soil, burns roots and raises salt levels in soil.
    CHLORINE (Cl) Max................................................. 25.00% This is the smoking gun. A cl of 25% is incredible. I won't use a fert with a cl of more than 2%. To get this you have to find ferts with sulphat of potash.

8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

So would this label information be a safer alternative:

Total N - 16%
    16% Urea Nitrogen

Soluble potash - 31%
    (derived from sulfate of potash)

Chlorine - 2%

9. LonniesLawns

from KS

yes -- but this is a fantasy fertilizer

10. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

elp me understand the CL part. What exactly is it's function? Give me the good and bad.
    Thanks