1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any drawbacks to mulching leaves...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Sep 25, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Until the leaves pretty much quit falling I'll probably just mulch them to keep my properties looking neat,provided there aren't excessive numbers of them.I know that mulched grass is at least somewhat beneficial because it adds nitrogen back to the lawn as it decomposes...but what about leaves?Someone told me that leaves are acidic.Is this true or can you just mulch through the winter(in some cases) then resume regular mowing in the spring?Thanks.
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been told by a PhD in agronomy that mulching leaves is great for the lawn. Don't worry about it being a little acidic because although most aren't, the ones that are won't hurt a thing. For the most part, leaves are very desrible for nutrients. On the flipside, Pine straw is pretty acidic and will lower the ph of the soil over time. Eventually if you keep mulching straw, you may end up having to lime the lawn to neutralize it some.
    Personally, I don't even own a bag kit because you can't pay me enough to bag or rake. Everything gets mulched and as long as it is done regularly, it looks like its been bagged. On the lawns with heavy leaf-fall, I sometimes have to make a few passes but its still better than bagging.
    Hope it helps.