Any easy way to install plastic edging?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Let it Grow, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have any good ideas for installing black plastic edging. I use the claw of a hammer, but that is very backbreaking. I figured if anyone knows any tricks I'd love to hear them.

2. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean easy ways. Do you mean easy ways to pound the stakes in? Or to dig the trench. I never thought laying edging was that hard. We just run our trenchmaster to dig it and pound it in the ground.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

He's talking about the black plastic edging.The stakes for that go in at an angle near the bottom of the edging.
    Only thing you can do is trench behind where the edging is going.I've used a pick,which is alot of labor. A bed edger would be ideal.Then you can set your edging in place,pin it in from behind,and backfill with the soil the edger removed.
    I'd go with the metal edging though and you can just stake it straight in.Metal will take alot more abuse from mowing,kids,etc.,,Plastic edging,over time,will get broken,cut,splintered,etc.,

4. newleaflandscape

Metal Edging tends to heave alot more around here.

5. Let it Grow

It's not that hard...if you have a trenchmaster. Those of us who don't have one have to work a little harder to install it, that's why I asked if there was an easy way!

6. newleaflandscape

oh ok i gotcha. When we hand dig some spots we will cut down the edge straight with a spade. Then we will use a pitchfork to grab it up from the other side, (if there is grass). We do that when there are lines and must hand dig. Get a real nice heavy spade. Wolverine makes some nice ones. Also get yourself a grinder and keep the end of the spade razor sharp. Cuts through the ground better.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Easiest way? Don't install it in the first place....it's worthless long term

8. Let it Grow

I really am not looking to start a debate over which type of edging to install. If the customer wants black plastic edging, then that is what I install. Thank you to those who answered my question.

9. culand

culand LawnSite Member

your right > if the customer wonts black edging then you should install it <> its his yard.
    the way we do it is > cut a trench ,put a in the edging and stake it down. there is no easy way ,,just yours way of doing.

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE
    culturscape@aol.com

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

E-Z Trencher makes a perfect sized trench for it.