1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any experience with Dawn Redwoods?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by karen1122, Nov 4, 2004.

1. karen1122

karen1122 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience with using Dawn Redwoods in 6b? They seem to be becoming more available further north, however, they come with a warning of severe damage if hit by an early frost. Has anyone seen this kind of damage occur around the Philadelphia area? Do you think their use would be a big risk?
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

My father planted one in the early seventies at our house in suburban Boston. I grew up with that tree and never saw it flinch. I live on Cape Cod now and know of several large specimens that don't look like tey ever suffered.

Also, there is one in front of the College of Forestry at the University of Idaho. It is much colder there in the winter and I never saw that one have any problem either.
  3. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

we have installed both dawn redwoods, and bald cypress in nw ohio. Both are considered reliable zone 5 plants, and with the winter winds we get here I believe it. should have no problem in 6. the only problem with them is finding a suitable site. most residential sites are too small. they are better suited for a park, golf course, etc.
  4. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

Fantastic specimen tree, they do need a little breathing room though. We have one in our area that's about 55'+ I'v been driving by for 10 yrs now, I still slow down to look at it. The bark and trunk appearance seem to get more spectacular with each passing year.
    I always get a couple of calls in the in the fall from distressed HO's telling me that all the needles on their pine " suddenly turned yellow and fell off ". :p

I don't know about Philly, but there are quite a few around my area (6a/6b). I have never seen any sign of frost damage, either on those that I planted or existing tree's. Metasequoia glyptostroboides (Gotta love the name) .:D

Hope this helps,
  5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm out of your zone in Oklahoma, but I occasionally see Dawn Redwood anyway. Most nursuries don't carry it here. It looks similar to a bald cypress in form, and needs sufficient moisture. This tree can grow to be very tall.
  7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in Zone 7A and have observed my neighbor's Dawn Redwood for nineteen years now. Haven't seen it have any problems. Maybe the warning was written by someone in an area not prone to frost. When we have frost, the needles turn the most amazing apricot color and fall off---just as they are supposed to do.