Any explanation????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, May 25, 2004.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

This spring I have picked up a lot of business and obviously have been doing a lot of bidding... Over the last few weeks I have got phone calls from new customers and a few people that I just gave bids to in which they told me something thats confusing.. Apparently, they are getting offers for American Express cards sent to their home address, but instead of having their name, it has the name of my company...

Example, and I have a Kankakee address for the business and home..

Makin the Cut,Inc
    123 Main St
    Joliet, Il 60414

I haven't used their address for anything, the people I gave bids for I did nothing but talked to them on the phone and then in person... People I have for customers I have done nothing but enter them into my computer, yet somehow my company and their addresses are getting matched up and marketed to..

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

You've been hacked. Someone is in your computer then, looking through all of your stuff.

3. Jon99

Thats what I thought at first, but I don't enter info on people until we agree on service... So the people that I bid on and did not get the job, we have only talked on the phone and in person, and they are also getting these offers addressed this way... And its not a lot of people, 3 current customers and 2 people I bid only on...

Can they be buying the info from the phone companies??? I have talked to them thru SBC and Nextel phones..

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I'd contact the credit card where they are issued from, and discuss with them. This may look real bad if potential customers are getting items like this, as they won't feel they can trust you as much, even though you had nothing to do with it.

My first thought was computer hacker as well, but seeing as though you never entered this information to your computer, I am not sure.

Hopefully you can get to the bottom of this, I think one good thing to do is to make sure and let your customers know you are working on solving the problem, so they feel comfortable again with you.

5. needa

needa LawnSite Member

Do you write the bids out by hand, or are you typeing them in the computer. I still think your computer is being hacked. Do you have DSL or charter cable internet service? If so, buy a small router with firewall device built into it and connect it between your computer and the network connection. Another thing you should check is the sharing on your hard drive. Make sure sharing is turned off.

6. Jon99

All bids I hand write, names aren't written into the computer until we agree on service... Even the customer that called last name, I have only mowed her yard twice and because I am so busy I still don't have her in the computer...

7. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

You're being stalked. Talk to the CIA IMMEDIATELY.

haha nah j/k, I would talk to the credit card companie(s) that are doing this.

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

You might contact the police and get them involved. Something like that could very nasty before its over with.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would call up the credit card company right away. Who knows what else has happened. Also at the same time I would get a credit report to see whether anybody has anything in your name that you do not know about

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'd check with the phone companies as well.
    Don't know how far you'll get but if you've only spoken to them by phone and they are not in your computer it would be on my list to check.