Any good Books or Websites

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jeep Creek, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Jeep Creek

Jeep Creek LawnSite Member

I was wondering if there is any good books or websites, to learn about different type of grasses and plants..Thanks in advance

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

thats a great place to start.... many nursery's and home improvement centers have lots of books too

3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the best things I have done was I got a list of plants from a local nursery and I have researched each plant on monrovia.com. It gave me a better understanding of the plants that are sold locally.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

www.monrovia.com is a good one to have in your favorites folder.

doooh, I was beat out by 30seconds.

5. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

I like using local University Extension websites, such as UMASS, UCONN, Rutgers, etc. Those sites are generally full of articles written by doctors and professors, not just salesmen or book authors who think they know a little about grass/plants. Those sites also are good for dispelling popular landscaping myths that are out there, and believe me, I've found a few:)

Thanks for the Monrovia link, Grn Mtn and Drsogr. Never saw that before....I think I'll add it as well:)

Shane

6. Grn Mtn

The big thing is knowing about the plants that are actually available in your area. What I do is look at my customers site, make a note of what I would like to plant IE: shady, ornamental, perennial etc. Then head off to my nursery and make a list of what they have in stock, if I see something cool and don't know much about it, that night I'll look it up. Most of the time its from Monrovia, some times its from www.StarPlants.com.

7. JColeman

JColeman LawnSite Member

8. Grn Mtn

That is a very strange web site, gives me a creepy feeling. Its a bunch of washed out blurry pictures of people in front of or next to the plants?