any good GPS tracking programs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Sharps_lawn&landscaping, Jan 24, 2013.

1. action1

action1 LawnSite Member

Does that keep your employees in check? The guns and ammo?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Listen to action1!!!!!!!! The omega gps 4550 is an absolute game-changer! I worked for Orkin for a couple of years... Yes, I was an Orkin man! Anyway, they had the omega's in all the trucks and this thing kept us on track for sure.... We knew if we deviated the slightest bit, we were busted... And if we were on the highway and we went over like 70mph, that was it.... we were fired.. And DO NOT tell your employees.... If you are going to tell them, then what's the point? I know, I know, it's a deterrent.... and it is, and it works really great too.. BUT, if you have some guys that you are already worried about, the GPS is a perfect way to know what's going on.... It's not sneaky, hey it's all of your stuff... Your truck, your trailer, your equipment, your clients, your money, your reputation... You need to know! Some people are the best liars in the world and they will look in your eye and say that they were out doing the route when if fact they were going to their dealers house all day scoring dope.(Purely a hypothetical example) And it sucks because the guy that's been with you for 7 years and busts his ass is probably going to get bent out of shape but just take him aside and explain to him why you are doing it and he will understand......

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The trick is to have software to go with these locators so you do things like analyze the route taken and suggest better route. Put boundry that you want truck to stay in and alert you if outside. Clip is working with the locator we have to offer a package. One thing for sure it would be boring to sit and watch the plotting of 4 or 5 trucks all day.

4. cleanairNC

cleanairNC LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a product that can be placed on a mower, for location purposes only. I'm not looking to track its every move, but rather just in case of a theft. Thanks.

5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

US fleet tracking has them...

6. TNEDGE

TNEDGE LawnSite Member

The only problem with these truck tracking devices is that anybody can buy online a tracker jammer that generates a noise that renders these tracking devices useless. You wont even know your employees are using them. You buy them online, plug them into the cigarette lighter and the signals you read back in the office go in and out . They can stop at a job...plug it into the lighter and disappear . They are free to go anywhere they want , return to the location, unplug it and you will be none the wiser. Your tracking report will say they never left the job. IMHO it is better to really screen your employees, keep the same ones for years and develop a trust.

7. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Actually if it loses signal it is noted when and for how long. Going into a car wash sometimes does this. If its losing signal daily you know something is up. It keeps honest people from doing dishonest things. A thieve is always a thieve. You can try to stop them but they always try to beat the system.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

This is what we use. Works great at a reasonable price.

9. shawnlc

shawnlc LawnSite Member
    from na

Just make sure it's because he's failing and not because you don't like that you don't have all young guys.

10. cleanairNC

cleanairNC LawnSite Member

I went with the DeWalt MobileLock system. Pretty nice so far. Very easy to customize, and a trusted name for sure.

www.dewaltmobilelock.com