1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Any good tree identification sites or apps?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by RLI Electric, May 31, 2011.

1. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone has a good website or iphone app for identifying trees. I never thought I would be able to distinguish one tree from another but now that I have an ok handle on some, I would like to be better at it.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

3. drewguy

drewguy LawnSite Member
    from D.C.

I recently downloaded an iPhone App called "leafsnap" based on an NY Times writeup. It's free. I haven't tried it yet, but in theory you can take a picture of a leaf and it will identify the tree. It's database is currently limited to trees in the northeast, but they plan to expand.

4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Leafsnap is pretty good and I'm sure it will get even better.

5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Dirr makes a good app for general tree knowledge. Its basicly their book on app form. Not much leaf itentification though. Primarily tree culture and photos.

6. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

Leafsnap is pretty cool although I cannot get the photo portion to work as far as identifying leaves

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Do yourself a favor and don't learn to identify trees by their leaf. Learn how to identify them by their structure and bark. Then you can also identify the trees in the winter.

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey, why discriminate. Why not learn all the characteristics of the trees and shrubs for identification. I know, I know; only we crazy plantaphyles do that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member