Any Gravely G series users?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Jul 31, 2003.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at a Gravely 32" G series wb. The features are much nicer than most and I know Gravely to be a very reliable name in mowers.

Does anybody use Gravelys and what do you like/dislike about them?

2. HOLE IN ONE

HOLE IN ONE LawnSite Member
    from KANSAS

I bought a brand new gravely pro g 36" this year. I would have to say I am very pleased with it. the feature i like the most is the floating deck. It has saved me so much time being able to adjust the height on each job. for some people they mow at one height . but with my customer base I end up cutting from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 variances everyday so being able to change the deck height in about 5 seconds is valuable. I have not had any troubles with it and if I did, gravely really stands behind it from what I understand.If I were you I would buy the 36" .I have not found a gate that I can't get thru.

3. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

even the fixed deck gravely's are easy to adjust from what i hear. no tools...the actual deck moves. All other brands ive seen the height is adjusted by the front casters. pain in the ---, if you ask me.

4. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, they have fully adjustable decks, larger rear wheels, wider drive belts, a 6.6gal tank, hour meter is standard, etc. etc.

I'd love the 36" but some of the gates I go through are just big enough for my SCAG 32".

HOLE IN ONE - what kind of steering did your get? I'd love to try the Pro steering - looks safer than pistol grip.

5. HOLE IN ONE

HOLE IN ONE LawnSite Member
    from KANSAS

I have the pistol grips. It killed my hands at first but I have gotten used to them.My dealer told me they would be coming out with an aftermarket handle that could be added on to change the steering. I will probaly check into it. another thing that I hated was the metal safety cutoff controls on the pistol grips. they really dig into your palms and wear your hands out. I took mine off, man what a differance on the hands.

6. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

I love this mower, but I must say that it took awhile to get the controls adjusted properly. The brakes must be adjusted when the belts are adjusted. The dealer I bought it from had it all out of rigging... but I finally got it right. BTW I have the 1548 pro steer. This thing is a tank and if you don't slow down before you attempt a turn you will demolish the turf. The thing is very heavy in the front, which is good for not raising up when mowing hills, but it takes so much weight off the rear wheels it causes them to slide easily. I'm going to shorten the arm on my sulky to help add some weight to the rear.