ANy Great Dane owners out there?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassMasterNC, Nov 1, 2005.

1. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

I have the opportunity to pick up a pre-owned Great Dane Chariot for $3000.00. Don't know much about them even though we have a dealer nearby. 52" cut. 22hp Kohler. decent shape, nothing spectacular. new hydro pumps, new wheel motor, well maintainenced, low abuse 150hrs on rebuilt Kohler and 800 hrs on the frame. Drives and handles great...just wanted to solicit some info from folks with experience owning/operating them...would it be worth the investment? My crew will be using it daily as the second machine off the trailer.

Thanks for your help,

Matt:drinkup:

2. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention it also comes with a dumping grass collector that runs w/ 5hp motor and servicing all the major components for a year. (pumps, motors, etc)

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Great Dane chariots arent a bad deal. To me they drive really loose as far as the way the hydros feel compared to any other Z rider. I had a chariot 52" 23 kawi that was crapped out @ 1K hours. It was beat on the same as all the other mowers but just fell apart a bit easier!

5. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Don't have a rider ,but I do have a w/b and hate the thing. I purchased a used Hustler 60" Z for 2500 and have no problems great mower.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like an older one with the engine mounted sideways.
    So I would be leaning very hard towards saying no.

The reason being is that no Kohler is gonna live long on that frame due to the mounting. So after the first year you are on your own and replacing motors much too frequintly.

7. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Have a 52" stander fixed deck. Love it. IMO riders are limited in certain situations. The stander is better under low branches, on steep hills, and heavily saturated areas. It even fits on the trailer nicer. Getting on and off is nicer and the thing is 1.5" shorter than a rider so I can really squeeze it in to tight spots.

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

think about it the hydro pumps have just been replaced and wheelmotor . great Danes are notorious for hydro pumps and wheel motors. i worked for a co that had about 6 of them all junk . like stated earlier they are really loose and they do fell apart .

9. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I got a 52 inch surfer, (stander) with a fixed deck and I love it. I wouldn't use it as a primary mower because it scalps easy on small residentials, but for commercial and wide open areas its great. Sounds like a descent deal to me.

10. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I bought a Super Surfer. I put 720 hours on it with no problems so far.