1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any guesstimates on mulch weight?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eskals, Apr 19, 2001.

1. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Ok, so I know this is a difficult question to answer because of a lot of variables, but how much do you think a yard of shredded hardwood mulch weighs? Assume that the mulch is not wet, very slightly damp. Not compacted, just dumped.

I only ask out of curosity. Me and another guy were just trying to fend off boredom while shoveling, and started discussing this. It feels to be less than half the weight of topsoil (and topsoil is roughly 2000lbs per yard???). Therefore, we guessed about 700-800 pounds per yard.

Anyone else care to take a guess?

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

could dig in my folders and find out but i would guess half of soil so half ton.
  3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

800 sounds about right to me.
    Jim L
  4. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

More than 1 company here says the average weight is 1,000#/yard. Just an average, the variables will make a big difference.
  5. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Good to know we were close. Thanks

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Lemme take a shot at it. I would guess that 1000lbs of mulch ways approx a half of a ton!

I just had to! ;)

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I would guess more like 400 lbs/yd. No way it is near 1000 lbs. It is delivered to us 85 cu/yds in a walking floor trailer. That would put the truck way over weight limit. We haul 15-20 yds on a Bri-Mar dump. So again I am sure it is not near the 1000 lb mark. Just my guess.
  8. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

We appear to have quite a range here. Anywhere from 400lb/yd to 1000lb/yd. Next time I go to pick up some mulch I may just have to jump on the scale.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I put 4 yds in my 3/4 ton pickup,and 5 in the 1 ton dump.4 yds in the 3/4 ton doesnt even phase it,it almost sits level,but still a little high in the rear,so i think 500 lbs /yd dry is about right.When i have 1 yd of crushed stone on,it sqauts more than 4 yd of mulch.
  10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I heard 500 lbs---variables of course.