1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Any help for someone who doesn't know one thing about irrigation?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ijustwantausername, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

I typically reside in the lawn/fertilizer portion of this forum, but recently have been given the opportunity to bid on a job involving irrigation, you know, one of those game changer type jobs. All things considered, irrigation is a very small portion of the job, it mainly involves mowing/mulch/pine straw.

I know nothing about irrigation, plain and simple. Anyone know where I can get started in terms of getting licensed/certified and learning about the basics here in NC? I don't want to get into installation, just maintenance for current systems.

OR, is there a way to hire an outside contractor to do it and I just pay them? What certifications/licenses would be optimal for them to have.

Thanks from a Newbie!

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

make some calls talk to contractors..

see if they will let you help/learn the job while they install it...

In Nc I think you need some form of license.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

If you want to keep the customer , hire a good contractor , have him install and maintain the system . Or spend the time to learn , and the money to buy the tools and equipment and you do it . the first option , you may be able to make 5 to 15 percent , the second option you if you are lucky you wont lose money .

When we need to do grading , seeding or landscaping , I bid it and sub it out or refer to landscapers i know , because we are set up to do irrigation and make money at it. I have a bobcat , a bx24 kubota , and a 310b deere backhoe , and I still sub it out . Why ? ,Because the landscapers I sub to also feed me irrigation work , we all make money doing what we do best . Be a Jack Of All Trades , or a Master of one .

4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to do everything in house. I would start your irrigation education now. Sometimes education is not cheap, but well worth the expense and trouble. There is great money in irrigation.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

that's why we see Rotar dancing all the time - there be gold in them thar valve boxes :cool2: