1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any help for someone who doesn't know one thing about irrigation?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ijustwantausername, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

I typically reside in the lawn/fertilizer portion of this forum, but recently have been given the opportunity to bid on a job involving irrigation, you know, one of those game changer type jobs. All things considered, irrigation is a very small portion of the job, it mainly involves mowing/mulch/pine straw.

I know nothing about irrigation, plain and simple. Anyone know where I can get started in terms of getting licensed/certified and learning about the basics here in NC? I don't want to get into installation, just maintenance for current systems.

OR, is there a way to hire an outside contractor to do it and I just pay them? What certifications/licenses would be optimal for them to have.

Thanks from a Newbie!
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

make some calls talk to contractors..

see if they will let you help/learn the job while they install it...

In Nc I think you need some form of license.
  3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

If you want to keep the customer , hire a good contractor , have him install and maintain the system . Or spend the time to learn , and the money to buy the tools and equipment and you do it . the first option , you may be able to make 5 to 15 percent , the second option you if you are lucky you wont lose money .

When we need to do grading , seeding or landscaping , I bid it and sub it out or refer to landscapers i know , because we are set up to do irrigation and make money at it. I have a bobcat , a bx24 kubota , and a 310b deere backhoe , and I still sub it out . Why ? ,Because the landscapers I sub to also feed me irrigation work , we all make money doing what we do best . Be a Jack Of All Trades , or a Master of one .
  4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to do everything in house. I would start your irrigation education now. Sometimes education is not cheap, but well worth the expense and trouble. There is great money in irrigation.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

that's why we see Rotar dancing all the time - there be gold in them thar valve boxes :cool2: