Any help would be great - Lawn Removal.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by irocz106, May 16, 2007.

1. irocz106

irocz106 LawnSite Member

I have a client who wants to remove his lawn and replace it with clover leaf, which is apparantley the new grass for people whom have no intrest in lawn maintenance. He has a front lawn which is about 15x10 and a back yard which is about 40x50. The lawn was very poorly done before, and now he wants it removed. I heard of a practice of taking out the sod and mulching it? (Does that kill the grass) A yard machine i was told. I dont know what to do with the old lawn, what would be the best and most cost efficient way for my client and i to remove his lawn and start a new one with cloverleaf? I just don't want the grass coming back in and my work looking poor. What would other businesses charge for this service. I don't want to turn him away, he is a good client, and i don't want to lose his business.
    Any help would be great.
  2. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint LawnSite Member

spray with a herbicide, if licensed to do so..till dead growth..wait to see what re emerges ,herbicide again ..use can seed a couple days after,since roundup has no residual affect...good luck..if everyone planted clover we would all be out of business quick..
  3. irocz106

irocz106 LawnSite Member

Nobody has any ideas?
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

In this area it is good to be sure the grass roots are dead as well as the foliage. So I agree that Roundup is a good first step. In preparation of the seed bed for clover I would expect to see annual weeds as ragweed etc. to emerge quicker than the one you want. Timing is helpful here in that annuals sprouting in August may not reseed before frost. If done earlier the second application of herbicide is good as bbpropmaint has stated. Lightly rake in the clover so as not to activate more weed seeds and keep it happy into the winter. The mulching you mentioned I do not understand. Does clover successfully choke out everything else? Interesting idea, but personally never saw such a lawn.
  5. irocz106

irocz106 LawnSite Member

So what you are saying is that after i roundup the lawn. Let it die out, and just apply the clover seeding on the lawn, without digging out all of the grass? My plan was going to be dig out all the grass,bring in topsoil and start from scratch. I have never done a total removal of a grass lawn before, so it is new territory, but i don't want to turn away this job. The grass isonly half of it. Has anyone done a job like this before, and what did you do? This customer got dooped by another company last year and i want to make it right, and keep it affordale...