1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Any help would be greatly apprecieated.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Perfect Lawnscapes Inc., Nov 23, 2007.

1. Perfect Lawnscapes Inc.

Perfect Lawnscapes Inc. LawnSite Member

I am sure you guys have heard this a thousand times, but I am starting my own LCO. I am inc. The business end is pretty much wrapped up (accountant, attorney). I have what I think of as "enough" experience(5 years applicating, 2 of those 5 mowing and "small"l andscaping too). I plan on residential only for the first year or two then upgrading to a 60"Z and taking on bigger jobs. I will also be offering lawn applications. My prices will not be "lowballish" either, you get what you pay for. My main questions are,
    1. Used Equipment: what brands have the most longevity? (36"w/b for now)
    hustler,gravely,exmark,toro,scag,cub cadet (mowers/service in my area)
    2. Used Trailers: how old is too old? new in my area 1200-1500 16 by 7(growth in mind)
    3. Hand equipment: echo,stihl,murayama,husqvarna?
    4. Vertical software: Gopher pro ,Groundskeeper pro ?(applications)
    5. Landscape lighting: Is it a good idea for somthing extra?
    6. "Softscapes": Landscaping without walls? (customer's kid smashed his face on a wall this summer......bad)
    7. How much work (gross) before someone is hired?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

2. Trailer(s): Whatever you do, buy it new.
    7. 4-5 years solo, gross doesn't matter.

3. Perfect Lawnscapes Inc.

Thanks topsites, how about the rest?
    1. Used Equipment: what brands have the most longevity? (36"w/b for now)
    hustler,gravely,exmark,toro,scag,cub cadet (mowers/service in my area)
    3. Hand equipment: echo,stihl,murayama,husqvarna?
    4. Vertical software: Gopher pro ,Groundskeeper pro ?(applications)
    5. Landscape lighting: Is it a good idea for somthing extra?

4. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

Keep in mind this is my opinion.

1. I go scag. But you actually need to answer this question. Find a good dealer near you and find out what they service, and go with it. If it's an exmark, look for used exmark. Talk to them and they sometimes have equipment laying around, or may know a landscaper willing to sell you something.
    2. For a 36 all you need is a mesh bottom 5 x 8, which I bet you can get new for $700. I dont care if it's a 1940's trailer or a 2005 trailer, its a trailer and does not make you money, at all!. Make sure the paperwork is correct and make sure your truck has the correct hitches.
    3. Whatever the dealer has(preferably the one with the mower). They will all run forever. And he will probably want to help you out looking for a machine if you spend a few bucks on his handhelds.
    4. Use Mic. Excel or something similar to that. Bill monthly. There is no need for you to have that at this point. It is a luxury and I live without it. When you do not have enough time to do it as is, you adapt.
    5. Are you an electrician? I bet no... So no it's not.
    6. English please?
    7. There is no way to know. Maybe you have too much work in 2 years, maybe 5 years. That's for you to figure out, and you wont know until you get started. You can always stay just you, there are a lot of guys that do and in many ways it pays off.

5. advantage landscaping

i also doubt you are an INC., so if you're not get rid of it before you get in trouble with the feds.

6. Perfect Lawnscapes Inc.

submitted the paperwork at my sec. of state website 2 days ago...nobody had a business name close to mine. legal zoom $875-sec. of stste $275?

7. advantage landscaping

Yep thats what they go for...

8. Perfect Lawnscapes Inc.

how old are you again?

9. advantage landscaping

10. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

you are 17? so who is your business insurance through? or is it cash for now?