Any higher milage Ford 6.4 diesels?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ClassicLawnCareInc, May 25, 2011.

1. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a higher milage 6.4 liter ford diesel that is still going strong? Or any that havent had any problems with?

Also what milage do you have?

Ive heard of a lot of guys having problems with them, but havent heard to many non-problem stories.

The reason I ask is b/c I have (4) 6.4's and thankfully I've not had any problems, but they all have lower milage on them.

Thanx

2. rstan2010

rstan2010 LawnSite Member
    from Troy MI

The 6.4 is an awesome engine. I have a 2010 with the dpf deleted and runs like a top with plenty of power. The only problems that they have is they have sensitive fuel pumps so if you get just a little water in your fuel you F the whole system and repairs are very expensive. If you delete the dpf on these trucks it makes them a lot more reliable.

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

i have about 55K on my 09 and its had its share of little headaches, nothing catastrophic.

even though i still have warranty, i went ahead and did a dpf/doc delete with an h&s tuner and drop in filter and never looked back. wish i did it sooner. truck runs better, tranny runs cooler and shifts better, much better mileage and no more idiotic regens. plus it shuts the egr function off so no clogging turbos etc...

these motors are absolute monsters when done right. I have 3 mods on my truck (about 1300 into it) and it can run 13's. I had well over 5K into my supercharged monte carlo and would run low to mid 13's

4. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I had a "old" border patrol truck - 08 6.4 with 105k miles on it. it still ran well and that truck had been through hell and back. It had a lot of cooling system repairs done under warranty prior to my ownership (probably from being run hard in the desert).

5. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 08 with 33k when it died and ford bought it back for 2k less than what I gave for it.

6. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

Any other high milage 6.4 diesels?

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I have 32k on my 08. Prolly 25k is all pulling a trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

You need to subscribe to Diesel Power magazine. They have done articles on the 6.0 & 6.4 mods that make the engines last longer. EGR upgrades (legal) or deletes are key problem areas that need help. Using a programmer on a 6.0 or 6.4 with a factory EGR is just asking for trouble.

It's a lot easier to mod a Duramax or Cummins and these engines in general will have much better longevity. For hot rodding the Cummins has the engine with the strongest internal parts.

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

well i found a puddle of oil under my truck monday night. oil is dripping from the seal area of the engine/tranny mount up area...

i really need to invest in a back up truck!:hammerhead:

10. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Put that 100K engine warranty to good use. The 6.0 & 6.4 has done a great job of keeping mechanics and parts manufacturers gainfully employed. Only time will tell how well Fords 6.7 will hold up. I'm sure it's better then the 6.0 & 6.4 but the Duramax and especially the Cummins has a track record that will be hard to match. Ford has done a great job of converting it's die hard customer base into Cummins & Duramax owners.