Any hints for finding shorted valves?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bcg, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! Florida sure has some opinions, all b.s. I might add. :hammerhead:

2. Mike Leary

That's as nasty of a post as I've ever seen in on the forum.:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

men, you can buy a TDR knowing that i don't receive any money for promoting the TDR's use in any way, shape or form.

i've spent a lot of time working with the TDR, gathering information and testing theory's because i believe in it's use.

here's a few pic's of different wire arrangements for s&g. these pics show the use of three different size and type of wire, the mid thirties readout was with the 1-18 ga. and 1-14 ga. tied together to loop the wire. short = loop

the sixties reading is with 1-18, 1-14 and an unknown ga. jump wire to make the loop........in the heat, with all of the wire exposed, the TDR readings will vary with the VOP but in the ground it doesn't seem to matter much.

once you start getting the feel of the TDR in your area, heat, cold, soils ect you should be able to adjust the TDR's VOP to fit you or as i do use it to narrow not pinpoint the valves and wires.

it's not as important to pinpoint the site as it is to get close enough that the valve finder, ground fault locator is used minimally.

100_7013.jpg

100_7014.jpg

100_7015.jpg

100_7016.jpg

100_7017.jpg

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Jim,

You better be careful ..... you don't want to be labeled as an arrogant elitist for correcting members of this forum and presenting the correct information.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i was hoping that nobody would figure me out for another 10,000 or so posts...............damn................i can't have nothin' nice...........:hammerhead:

6. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Florida,

I really hope you're just having a bad day. But I'm a firm believer in how-you-do-anything-is-how-you-do-everything. So I guess this is how you really are.
    Jim has done nothing but help people on this forum. The fact that he has let people call him to help them through their situations on jobs shows his true selflessness. I feel your post was uncalled for. I agree with Mike Leary.

You do realize what you wrote right before this sentence, right?
    "On another note, it is usually insecure people who build themselves up degrading and stepping on the shoulders of others."

7. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

1idejim
    Thanks for the info_One day you will have something nice :laugh::waving:

8. Mike Leary

Anyone that badmouths Jim will have to go through me first; after I sick this bad girl on them.

DSCN4705.jpg

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You leper .... you shall be cast out of the irrigation guild if you continue to display any type of intelligence beyond that which the majority possesses. ;)