Any hope for my rough riding Woods ZTR model 6160?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wagonmaster34, Jun 5, 2007.

1. wagonmaster34

wagonmaster34 LawnSite Member

I was told by the dealer that they don't have any thing to offer exept letting some air out of the tires. I was wondering if anyone has had luck by switching to a seat with suspension?
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Is that a front-deck, or a midmount machine? What year model is it? With this info., we can probably figure out who built it for Woods, then it will be easier to see if a suspension seat is available from the original manufacturer of the macxhine.
  3. wagonmaster34

It is a 1999 Model 6160 with a front mount 52 deck. Thanks for the help!
  4. Mowingman

from Texas

Well, I am not sure who made their front deck machines way back then. It is not a Grasshopper, and I don't think Encore started making them until a couple of years ago. You might have one from when Woods actually tried to make their own machines. Maybe someone else will know who made it. Good luck.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing I learned is to get my back off that back rest when riding, never lean back in your seat, but slightly forward, just far enough to where the back rest doesn't smack your back around.

Then, it's a little like riding a horse, you kind of, well, hard to describe, a bit like riding a horse, best I can say, but I do believe suspension helps.

Your best bet would be to either unbolt and take off the current seat, or somehow get the measurements (the bolt holes!) and the dimensions, then start shopping around and see what you can find.

You might try Northern Tools, Home Depot, Lowe's for starters, maybe Ebay, J-Thomas, thou I think you're looking at spending some $300...?

But yeah, my warrior has a suspension seat, that thing absorbs a pretty decent amount of roughness, not all of it, but it makes a difference.
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

It looks alot like a grasshopper, so I would definetly try to do v-tread low pressure drive tires. I run the 21-11-8's , carlisle powertrac 2's, they should fit your rig, run them at 5-6 psi. you can find them on EBAY for 150 shipped, get them mounted locally.

If you need rims find a grasshopper dealer, they should fit, but check. the rims for those tires run a round 50 bucks.

I also run a suspension seat from tractor supply, at 68 bucks it is a cheap one, but better than nothing. the nicer 300 buck seats are much better, but I'm cheap.

keep your rear tires at around 15 psi, they tend to roll of lower than that.

all these will help your ride. good luck
  7. wagonmaster34

Thanks for the ideas. I will see what the bolt pattern is for the seat mounts and start shopping for a suspension seat. Then I'll look into the low pressure drive tires. I may even try riding a horse a time or two! Thanks again for the help!
  8. Mowingman

from Texas

Grasshopper was not building the Woods machines back then. They quit building for Woods in the mid 90's. However, Woods may have still been using some copied Grasshopper parts. Do not plan on Grasshopper parts fitting on a 99 model Woods machine.
  9. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

I buy my tires at Cedar Rapids Tire Company in Iowa.
    I haven't found anywhere to beat there prices.
    Good friendly service also