Any idea on the cost to get this truck body back into shape?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MowingMowingMowing, Jan 28, 2011.

1. MowingMowingMowing

MowingMowingMowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/2182092181.html

The good: no mechanical damage, all the mechanical components of the truck have not been harmed, only 40,000 miles on it. All damage is cosmetic.

THE BAD: when I inquired about the title, he said it would be issued as a rebuild b/c of the damage.

The UGLY: apparently the truck came from a "domestic dispute" where a lady beat the hell out of the truck with a shovel repeatedly (this is what the dealer told me). You can see from the pics it is dented all over, she beat the hell out of both sides of the truck. I know for a fact, the fenders and hood will need to be replaced.

The million dollar question... Anyone have a clue on the cost of fixing the body up? Let's figure worst case scenario. Is there a decent likelihood the parts needed could be scrapped from a junk yard? I have very minimal experience with body work, but know that it can add up QUICK... Dealer already said he would work on price (no way in hell I'd pay the $8,000+ asking price he has). When I talked with the dealer on the phone he claimed it would only take a couple thousand...I'm not experienced with this stuff, but that seems EXTREMELY LOW considering what all needs to be done.

I know a guy that does body work, but couldn't get a hold of him tonight and was wondering what some more experienced opinions would be on this? I have a feeling it is going to be much more costly than expected. What do you think?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. bdconsoli

bdconsoli LawnSite Member

You should be able to find the hood and fenders and probably a bed too at a good junkyard. Partstrain.com has aftermarket sheetmetal parts for pretty cheap but they will need paint (don't remember if they are primed or not).

3. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

An estimate if you did the work yourself......

Estimate only...

Fenders 190 each for aftermarket.
    Hood 300 aftermarket
    Bed 1200 used
    Base coat clear coat and most all materials (Might as well buy a gallon) 290
    misc materials - 200

4. MowingMowingMowing

from Midwest

Yeah, luckily I definitely know the guy for the job, and he is actually unemployed at the moment, so I know he needs the work. Ideally, and I have no idea at the moment if this is feasible, is to do everything for around $11K-$12K.

5. MowingMowingMowing

from Midwest

Regarding the fenders, the dealer mentioned Certafit??? Not sure what that is...

Also, the dealer mentioned something about "skinning" all the doors and "boxing" the sides???

6. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Try www.car-part.com . Type in your zip code and you can search for parts from yards the closest to you. Look and you should find all the right body parts in the black color you are looking for instead of in other colors that would need to be painted. Find another pickup bed in black. When you do the swap you should be able to get some money for the old damaged bed as some body guy or shop will take it and replace the bad panels and put on another truck. I have removed 8' pickup beds all by myself and I'm only 6' 160 pounds. It was really hard but cheaper than any other option. If you have an engine cherry picker it can be used to hold up one end and you can lift off the other. Usually two guys can lift up a box off of a truck.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Certi-fit is a brand name for body parts.

Skinning a door is exactly what it sounds like. They remove the outside skin of the door and replace it with a new "skin".

I imagine (but don't know for sure) that boxing the sides is a reference to cutting the damaged panels off of the bed and replacing them with patch panels. I've seen these types of repairs rust pretty quickly if not done correctly.

8. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

Well if you know someone, ask him

If it were me, I would go to the junk yard, buy the doors, hood, and what ever else...bolt them on, have it painted....should be around 3 k. Then buy a flat bed. Becarefull If the cab itself is damaged, cab corners alone can run 1500 each it's a lot of labor
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont come to a lawn forum to ask how much will it cost to replace parts on a TRUCK.

WE DONT KNO, Go TO a Auto forum,

10. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have giving him a general estimate without looking up parts prices. I have body and paint experience. You act like no one on here has ever done anything but cut grass with their life.

Better results on a paint and body forum? I agree. But come on man we can help out a fellow member can't we?
    Posted via Mobile Device