Any idea what this is and how to get rid of it??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CRUZMISL, Jun 24, 2007.

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Hi All,
    Had a few pathces of this stuff last year but now it's seemed to take over. In early spring it was green, although a much different texture from the bluegrass it was growing into. NO wwith the summer heat here it's turned almost purple and looks horrible (obviously) Any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it? I'm hoping a total lawn reno is not the only option.

2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Ask the guy across the street what he does. Seriously though, its probably a fungus made worse by lack of nutrients and irrigation.

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

The grass is actually clearly different and not bluegrass. It's also easily pulled up. I don't think it's a fungus.......
  4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

leafspot/melting out gone bad?

SOSINC LawnSite Member

It's a turfgrass disease called Helminthosporium. Renovate dead patches and spray what grass is not dead with a labeled pesticide. Irrigate deeply in the mourning as a infrequently as possible.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You said it was also present last year. And different texture. I take that to mean it is a non-bluegrass something. You also said it pulled up easily. Obviously it does not stand up to heat and dryness, yet it is able to come back from last year.

I am thinking you mean finer texture. We need a better picture--closeup.

My vote goes to bentgrass. Short thin leaf blades. Lays down and roots along the stem. Short roots pull out easily.
    Looks like this:

Fine fescue is fine in texture, but it does not pull up easily.

Annual bluegrass is about the same texture, but more yellow.
  7. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

It kind of looks like Poa Annua to me. After all, Poa does brown out like that when the weather gets hot and dry (like it's already been this year). My vote is for Poa Annua.
  8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I second Riggle with the bentgrass.

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

OK, I'll post a close up picture as soon as I can.
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Definetly a different type of turf. Rough bluegrass? Could be. That's my best guess. Check out "rough bluegrass" on the web.