Any idea what this is?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nick-bigfootlawn, Jun 9, 2007.

1. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

I dug out some of my own lawn to plant some hostas, and put the dirt in the back yard and this is growing on it. Any idea what it is?

[​IMG]

2. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

i have the same thing when i planted some flowers, dont know what it is. but roundup killed it

3. nick-bigfootlawn

anyone else?

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It is Lily of the Valley

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Awfully sparse for lily of the valley. Can you post a close up pic?

6. nick-bigfootlawn

These help at all? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No clue here.

8. Kate Butler

OK, and I'm just guessing here - dayflower. It's a Tradescantia relative; very small succulent (filled with water) slightly pubescent leaves (hairy) and with a 3-part, blue flower that lasts only a day.

Your first picture seemed to have some little white things in the picture. If those were present then and not now, it's not dayflower. But this latest picture appears to be juvenile foliage of dayflower.

9. nick-bigfootlawn

Those pictures were taken the same day, just the latter ones where in the sun.

Where could that many seeds come from? I do have a bird feeder over the the area where these have shown up, is it possible it was a seed in a bird food?

10. Kate Butler

With that sort of multitude of plants pretty much the same age, it certainly COULD be the bird food.