Any idea what this is?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Gabby, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

This is showing up on one of my lawns (friends lawn). Any ideas? Brown patch?

IMG_0787_2_1_1.JPG

IMG_0790_1_1.JPG

2. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

May be Pythium.

What are the night time low temps, and humidity levels for the last three nights?

Did the cool front reach your area yet?

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

looks like a burn from chem or something hot......

4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Can't tell real well from the pictures, but I would say red thread. Look early in the morning when there is dew on the grass. You should see pink fibers and a general overall appearance of pink if its red thread.

5. Puttinggreens

Male, from southeast PA

It is not red thread, the mycelium is still present on top of the turf canopy.

Brown patch would not be this white and the mycelium usually sits lower in the canopy with brown patch.

Look how lush the rest of the turf is. N levels are not low. It could be dollar spot, but again, dollar spot likes low N levels.

Again we need to know the recent night time weather and type of grass we are dealing with.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is a topical burn of some sort Either chemical (gas, chlorine, herbicide, etc). It could have also been from someone setting a gas can down, or heat from an exhaust either sitting on it, or blowing on it. Anyone been running a Lawnboy mower on it? Chainsaw? I know I have a muffler on a Lazer that blows down toward the ground. Sitting long enough it would not surprise me if this happened.

7. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Night time temps have been in the low to mid sixties. Humidity has been real high.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Why do I not see the mycelium? What time of day was this taken? Have you looked at it early in the morning?

9. Puttinggreens

Male, from southeast PA

May be I am wrong, I did not ask what time the pic was taken.

But that looks like cottony, white, mycelium in the photo. The pattern looks like pythium to me and it has been very humid in the northeast lately.

I know I spayed a lot of Signature last week in anticipation of the current weather. Now he is 5 to 8 hours north of me so the weather could be quite different.

Just taking a stab at it!!

10. Puttinggreens

Male, from southeast PA

Gabby, can you PM me and send me a higher resolution photo of the problem?