Any idea whats causing this?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Baseballer1100, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

Some guy stopped me and wanted me to take a look at his yard around his tree to see what was happening around it and if i could do something about it.(Either make it a bed or fix the grass) I really had no idea but I thought it might be a lack of nourishment around. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help,
    Michael

2. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Looks like it could be chinch bugs. Look at the turf on your knees and see if you can see little black bugs a little bigger than a pin head. You'll have to pull back the turf and look at the ground closely.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

dose the guy have a spetic tank?

4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

May look at where his gas line goes as this may be an option. A gas leak will kill grass and bushes. I know the small tree is alive for now but just something else to look at. I would also take a long screw driver or rod of some kind and push into dirt to see if rock or like was said earlier a septic tank is just under the ground.

5. Cornraker

Cornraker LawnSite Member

could be pesticide sprayed on the tree. or tannin coming off of the leaves

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Could be aphids. Check for "frass"(sp) by running your hand on the edges of damaged area. Look for a silvery substance and/or tiny green bugs dropping from tree.

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Apparently, it could be anything!

8. Baseballer1100

Im going by there tomorrow and ill be sure to ask them. If he does would it be a bad idea to plant plants and flowers there instead of the grass?

Ill ask him tomorrow for sure about the gas leak. I did see some smaller broken up rocks maybe this could be a problem as well.

Ill check for those as well. Thanks guys ill let you know if I see anything or hear anything tomorrow.

9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you are seeing gravel or rocks at the surface that could be a good indication of little or no soil. The grass in that area will be the first spot to go dormant when hot dry weather shows up.

10. Baseballer1100

I just talked to the homeowner said there were alot of trees taken down there but no septic tank and is not sure of the gas lines. When i go out tomorrow ill look for sure for those rocks and try to get some pictures taken.