any ideas for picking up leaves in a big parking lot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by just grass, Mar 4, 2007.

1. just grass

just grass LawnSite Member

Just picked up an account, which is about a 3 acre cut including the lanes in the parking lot, the customer has a lot of leaves in the lot which he wants picked up due to the other service not complying. I'm in the process of buying a z-turn, should i purchase the baggin systems that are sold with them or buy a billy goat. any body have advice on this. i really dont have the need to hire another person, but i dont want to kill myself on this job.

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I use a Billy Goat HTR 1600 truck loader for my fall clean ups, I just sold a 2004 Scag Tiger Cub 48" with the velocity mulching deck, with Gator hi-lift mulching blades, for a 2006 Walker MT20 42" GHS 0.7hrs, mulching ZTR's are nice, but for my business they only do one thing mulch, I had to make multiple trips a week to keep up with the falling leaves. A Billy Goat or Walker makes the clean up efficent, I only need two crew members now to do my leaves, before I would take three guys, the Walker has replaced one person in my business, no one has lost there job just more productive.

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 13hp Little Wonder blower we use for parking lots. I would blow them into a pile and mulch them with your mower. Mulching them will reduce the size and then bag the pieces. You could also purchase a truck loader and suck up the leaves.

4. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Billy Goat wide area vac. It works great for me. I only have small parking lots.

5. just grass

thanks for the info, i think the billy goat is the way to go as i will be by self.

i will look into it with the loader

6. just grass

message to no spark plugs, do you have any pictures of the system and how you set it up?

7. just grass

thanks to all for their feedback

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

This is going to be the best way for you to go IMO.