Any Ideas for type of Pot

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by cs12bigfoot, Feb 1, 2007.

1. cs12bigfoot

cs12bigfoot LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants a pot that is about 3'-4' tall kind of like an olive jar to be a water feature. He just wants the water to fall over the edge of the pot and recirculate. Any ideas on what type of pot or any special lining I can put in a regular pot to keep it sealed and prevent breaking. Also what should I charge for something like this?

2. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I have built many of these and I can tell you how to do it. Send me a pm and I will give you some easy directions. Talk to ya soon

3. cs12bigfoot

what do you mean by pm? Profit Margin?

4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Bill, he goes not have enough posts to use the Private Message feature yet.

5. Bill Davis

got ya. Ideally you would like to find a large clay pot that is ideally glazed inside and out, smooth exterior finish.
    Drilling the hole in the bottom is the hardest thing of the whole install.
    You need to start with a small pilot whole, keep a water hose running on the drill bit the entire time or the pot is likely to crack. Drill a very small hole on the side of the pot at the very bottom so that the pot can drain if the pump is turned off. You do not want your pot turing into an ice cube , it will shatter!
    I like to use a little giant 2400 pump and a shut off valve.
    I typically use 3/4 pipe to plumb these water features.
    You will need to use a 1 inch bit to get a hole big enough for 3/4 inch pipe.
    Be sure to install a ball valve so you can adjust the amount of flow once install is complete. If you decide you want to put this in a pondless area just let me know and I can give you some secrets for that too. Good luck

6. Bill Davis

Also, I typically spend around $300 for an awesome pot, $400 dollars for liner, pump, and all necessary parts. Maybe a $100 for rock, and $30 dollars for my supplies from the home depot. It takes me and two employees around four hours to dig, install, and clean up. I charge three to four thousand depending on if there is any lighting involved and the accessability and ease of digging. Hope this helps.

7. cs12bigfoot

thanks a lot bill. I will definitely be talking back with you about this.

8. Bill Davis

awesome, Im pretty good at checking the site so feel free to asks

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Bill, thanks for the info you gave. I too am looking at doing something like this, only with a smaller urn. I intend to do my first pondless here in the next few weeks.

10. Bill Davis

Hey Keith,
    Good luck with urn. Pondless installs are a snap to install if you know what you up to. Have fun with it.